1. butterflies

Jessica Turner quietly walked to her locker. She turned the lock and began to pull out the books she needed. Suddenly, there was a small crash next to her, making her jump a little bit. Kate.
Jessica rolled her eyes, turning towards her friend.

"Jesus christ Kate, you scared the shit out of me," she said, rolling her eyes jokingly.

Kate grinned, and grabbed Jessicas hand in hers. That gesture gave Jessica butterflies in her stomach. Kate was perfect. She had a perfect smile. Perfect jet black hair. A perfect nose. She was just perfect. Kate laughed, the sound ringing out like a bell, and began to pull Jessica along. She hated it. Hated having a crush on her best friend. If only Kate wasn't so perfect...

"Hello? Earth to Jessica!" Kate said loudly, interrupting her thoughts.

"Sorry, here."

Kate laughed again. "C'mon"

They spotted their friend Deena at her locker, looking at the little memorial spot for a girl at their school who had been killed the night before. Kate let go of Jessicas hand, ran up to Deena, and began talking to her. Jessica stayed back for a moment, watching her. Why did Kate have to be so beautiful? If only she was ugly this all would be so much easier.
Kate turned back to her and gestured for her to follow. She shook her head and followed Kate and Deena into the bathroom.

"She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slave," Kate said playfully, reading the writing on the bathroom stalls. Suddenly, one of the doors and their friend Simon jumped out, continuing...

"She'll take your blood she'll take your head and follow you until you're dead." 

Jessica laughed. The story of the witch made her slightly uncomfortable but she brushed it off.

"You guys are dicks," Deena sighed.

"It's just fun," Kate said.

"It's sick," Deena countered.

"Break it up, break it up," Jessica half-joked, knowing Deena was serious.

"What, the dude was wearing a Halloween skull mask. How is that not fun?" Simon continued

"People died. Heather died. The dude was probably some sad sack who hated his life like the rest of us, except he decided 'Hey why don't I get out of here for good?' and 'Hey why don't I take a couple other mall rats with me?' There's no angry dead witch that made him go postal. The only thing that made him go crazy was this town!" Deena was really getting worked up at this point.

"Deena... are you ok?" Jessica asked worriedly

"Yeah I'm fine."

"... Seems like she's got a little witch in her." Simon said with a smile.

"Dude why the hell are you even in here, this is the girls bathroom?" asked Jessica

Simon jumped up and pulled something out of the vent.

"Candy store." He grinned

"You know we don't believe this witch shit, right? It's just like... fucked up Santa Claus or something." Kate offered.

Deena said nothing, but stuck something in Kates hand. Jessica looked over to see it was a box.