Chapter 1

Hell at home

Chapter 1

The day Lilly's older brother, Will, died, was the day the sun stopped shining. "Liliana, get your useless butt over here" screamed Frank, Lilly's stepfather. She hated him and she hated when he used her whole name, it was what her brother called her and nobody else.

Lilly ran down the hall as quickly as her feet would carry her; praying the entire time, that she would be fast enough for him. Smoke boiled out of the kitchen and she tried desperately not to cough as it filled her lungs. "Yes Frank." She choked.

"I told you to call me dad," he bellowed. "I married your mother." He laughed bitterly. It had been years since Lilly's mother had been around. She had died when Lilly was little during childbirth of another baby. Frank reached up and his palm slapped Lilly hard across the cheek.

Lilly's head snapped to the right and a tear slipped from her eye "Sorry Dad." She said softly.

"Bobby wants a beer." He smiled evilly. Lilly looked over at Bobby Whit and cringed. She knew he was already drunker than a dog, but she did as her stepfather said. As Lilly made her way across the kitchen, Bobby spoke "You sure have a looker, Frank." Bobby said.

"Look at the ass on that one," George Fickle smirked.

"How old is she now?" Bobby questioned with an eerie look in his eye.

"Seventeen right Lilly?" Frank asked.

Most normal people would know the age of their only surviving child but not Frank. He didn't care; he was nothing but an abusive stepfather who got stuck with a child once his wife passed away.

Lilly glared at the fridge before her. "Too bad" George sighed. "I'd pay big to get my hands on that. Such an exotic beauty with an exotic name."

"I'll have to call you on her birthday and you can come pay her a visit." Frank snickered. He had never thought about putting her out there on display, but the idea did really appeal to him.

Lilly gagged in disgust at the purposed thought. She slammed the beer down on the table. As she began to turn away someone grabbed her wrist "Sounds like fun right sugar?" Bobby smiled with a toothy lopsided evil grin. He held firmly onto her wrist while George groped her butt.

"Hand off the merchandise." Frank scoffed.

"I'll pass." She answered with a snarl.

"Shut up you trash." Frank snapped as he jumped to his feet.

His hand reached out and yanked her long red hair as he began to drag her down the hall.

"Don't embarrass me" he growled.

Lilly swallowed hard as Frank's fist slammed into her stomach. He had been too drunk to realize his mistake a few minutes ago. He never usually left a mark on her face but any part Lilly could covered was full game. His hit was hard and she crumpled over in pain.

"For that you can go to school naked as far as I care. I'm taking all your cash." He sneered as he grabbed hold of the small bank which Lilly had on her dresser. With one last push he slammed the door to her room and stomped down the hall.

She was thankful that she had only kept a few dollars in the bank because she knew better than to leave it where Frank could find it. When his loud footsteps finally stopped she had become alone with her tears.

Lilly's body ached, but at least he hadn't given her a black eye for the first day of school. She could deal with a broken rib or two but people would ask questions at the sight of a messed up face. His hand print was clearly visible across her cheek, inflamed and angry, but it would cover with some concealer she was sure.

As slowly as she could, Lilly pulled her tee shirt off. She examined the black and blue marks, which were across her ribs, determining they were definitely cracked. With as much care as she could she slowly slid a button up shirt over her arms and across her back then buttoned it.

She couldn't go back out there. Her only hope for relief was a washcloth and cool water. She went into her bathroom, pulled out a washcloth, and turned the water on as cold as she could get it. Frank would be drinking all night with his friends so no ice for her pain.

Lilly pulled out a plastic baggie she had tucked in her drawer from last time and shoved the cool washcloth inside. She set her alarm and prayed as she closed her eyes that Frank would be at work by the time she got up in the morning.