Chapter 8 - New Boy

Kolston's POV

I was very timid.

It wasn't my fault.

People didn't typically like me this way, but it's just how I was.

So when I peeked out from behind the tree I made no move to come forward. Despite they might think, I hadn't been listening to/watching them. I had just heard voices and followed.

There was a silence, then the dude asked, "Were you watching us!?!"

"No," I replied earnestly.

There was another silence for a moment before the girl motioned with her hand and said, "Well come on then!"

I stepped out from my "hiding place" and went to stand by the two, though I kept my distance. I still hadn't been here for very long, and I didn't know what dangers were here. Little did I know at that point these two would be the ones to save my life, and we, all three as a whole, were our only tickets home.

"Who're you?" the boy demanded, clearly overwhelmed with this all too.

"Kolston," I answered in my quiet voice, deciding honesty was the best way to go.

"Huh?" the girl asked.

"Kolston," I said a little louder.

She held her hand up for a high five-a mistake-and declared, "Nice! We both have names I've never heard anywhere else. Amerisa."

I high fived her.

"OWW howww?" she asked, shaking and holding her hand.

"Older brothers," I answered. The boy turned to her. "You good?"

"Yeah," she said, "just in pain."

"OK," he said. I thought about asking him what his name was, then decided he would probably tell me anyway, I was right. "Sam," he told me. "Don't high five me."

I nodded my assent.

There was a silence, and I heard the girl I now knew as Amerisa mutter to herself, "The pain went away so fast..."

She looked back up at me. "High five me again." I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I heard a determined undertone to her voice.

"Uhh, you sure?" Sam asked her. "I mean... you kinda just... ohhkay." He remarked when I gave her another high five.

"That one didn't hurt as much," she said, confusion scrunching up her face. 

"Maybe you're just getting used to it," Sam offered with a shrug.

"Maybe," Amerisa decided, "but only if he made my hand numb. Which he didn't, soooo.... then what's up with my hand? 'Cuz all the pain is gone." I had slapped her hand just as hard, so this was weird.

As Amerisa got lost in thought, Sam asked, "Sooooo where ya guys wanna go? Because personally I have no idea how I haven't gotten mosquito bit yet, unless this is Antarctica. Which it clearly is not, so, I plan to find a shelter and keep it that way."

"Come on guys, I can take you somewhere," I offered in response to Sam's question. Amerisa snapped out of her zone-out, and asked, "Okay, but where? And I'm still not sure I completely trust you."

"Well I'm the best shot you got, right?" I told her. 

I didn't know if that sounded suspicious, but it was the best I had got.

"OK," Sam agreed. Amerisa slapped him with the back of her hand lightly on his forearm. "Wha-at?" he asked. 

"You don't just trust someone just like that!"

"I just met you, why do you think I should trust you any more than him?" She faltered. "Plus, he's right. If he knows this place any better than us, he is our best shot." His head snapped towards me and he asked quickly, "You do know this place better than us, right?"

I nodded, and said a quiet "yep," though I don't think he heard.

"He knows this place better than us," he listed off to Amerisa.

I led them out of the clearing to where I had first shown my face the them, then halfway back the way I had come to the place I first appeared. Here, there was a mossy stone wall, about the height of my waist and definitely falling apart.

"We can take some cobblestone off this fence and make a structure with it.

I made it sound easier than I knew it would be. That "fence" was built into the ground. Or the ground was building over it.

"Ugghh, I was hoping there was going to be an actual structure here I could sleep in, not some old wall we have to rebuild." Rebuild? I wondered. Meanwhile, Amerisa peered through the woods. Then she walked off the dusty path I had found earlier into the trees. I watched her while Sam was too busy complaining to notice. But I wasn't annoyed at him, which was a surprise. 

Recently-after appearing at this place anyway-negative emotions seemed to slowly be melting away, and I had no idea why, but I liked it. It was much better.

"Hey guys! Come'ere!"

Amerisa's voice broke his whining, life-hating spree. Him and I looked at each other for a second before racing into the woods at the excitement in her voice.