Chapter 4

I opened my eyes slightly; the sun peaked through hurting me. I closed them again and moved my arms about. They were sore. I opened my eyes once more and saw a bottle of water next to me. I stretched and reached for it. Opening it was the hard part. Once I did I was gulping it sometimes sharing the water with my cheek or chin.

After about a minute I opened my eyes fully. I was in the fenced area. I looked around to see nobody around. I got up slowly making sure I wasn’t to hurt myself.  Luckily I was fine and headed out the fence.

It was quiet. The beach was empty. I looked around and noticed almost everything was salvaged. Did everyone die?

“You’re awake.” A familiar voice said. I turned to see Harold. I opened my mouth to say something.

“Three days,” He said. “and everyone went to the jungle to search for food.” He had answered all I wanted to know. I turned to go to the jungle but Harold touched my shoulder to hold me back.

“I wouldn’t go in. It’s dangerous.” There was a slight anger in his voice. He held a stick now almost like a cane. His leg was wrapped and some blood showed through it. I pointed and he nodded.

“That’s not what we should be worried about. We found the list of all the passengers. We identified everyone, except one person.” He stopped. I looked at him questionably. “You.” He ended. I froze.

Who was I?

He dropped the anger in his look and voice. “Listen, if there’s something you aren’t telling us, you should say something now before it gets you in trouble.” I shook my head. Tears filled the bottom of my eyes.

“I don’t know who I am! I don’t know anything. I truly don’t.” I told him. He turned his back to me and to the beach. He moved his jaw a few times. He was about to speak but stopped a few times as if trying to find a way to phrase it.

“You know you talk in your sleep.” He said, nodding. “You kept saying ‘Who am I?’ and talking about getting blood off your hands and then before you woke you said something about that bunker.” He ended.

“What did I say?” I asked curiously. “Oh I don’t know, but Joseph heard you, he went straight to it, came back and said he couldn’t open it.” Harold said.

I wanted to go back to the old bunker, I wanted to get inside. What did I say that made Joseph want to get into the metal bunker. “They should be back soon.” Harold said.

“They found out the berries were safe for human consumption so they are getting as much as they can. They truly are delicious.” He told me. “But they are still weary of the noises from the woods, so they won’t go too deep yet.”

Sand filled my sandals as I stood in the same place. So much has changed in just three days. “Harold, we have to get to that bunker.” I blurted out not even thinking about what I said. He really was an old man but I was sure he would be ok with a walk to the bunker.

“Jane, their already weary of you, if they find you and me gone they might suspect you did something to me.” He retorted. I shook my head a bit shocked at his words. “Let’s go you old geezer.” I said. He laughed and began to walk towards me but stopped a second.

“Here.” I froze. That was the same voice from the bunker in my dream. I looked at him and he held a stone club in his hand towards. I hid my terror and grabbed it from his hand. “Thank you.” I told him. I guess he just wanted me to be safe.

Harold had a little trouble getting past the bushes that connected the jungle to the beach but once he got around them there was an almost straight path to the bunker. He had a smile on his face the whole time. This was probably the first time he was off the beach.

As we approached the bunker I heard talking. It sounded like the group of people from the beach, but I didn’t care. I needed to get into this bunker.

I cleared the vines and grass covering the door. Harold watched contently. I tried the handle once more and I knew it wouldn’t open. I tried just banging on it. No luck. Then I hit the glass window with the stone axe while covering my face. The window shattered making a loud piercing noise.

The talking in the distance stopped and I heard running. Harold then took the club from my hand. “Hey what are you doing!” I shouted

“They can’t know I gave you an axe.” He said. I nodded in understanding. The group came close and their eyes widened when they saw me. Most of them held boxes. Some filled with dead rabbits and fish, others with the black like berries.

“You’re awake.” Joseph said questionably. He put his box of berries on the ground and went to talk to Harold in secret. Edgar walked over to me while the rest stared at me observing my every move.

“I’m glad you’re alive to be honest.” Edgar told me. He went to give me a hug and practically enveloped me in his fat. I smiled a bit. He let go of me and everyone seemed to be a little less worrisome but I knew what it was about.

“Harold told me I wasn’t on the passenger list.” I said. “I want to assure you I have no idea what’s going on. I still don’t know who I am, but all I know is that I need to know what’s in this bunker.” I ended while tapping on the door. Most nodded but some were still cautious.

A man came from the back of the crowd, it was the same man who suggested we get the berries. “Ok so I heard the shattered glass already so we just got to see what’s inside.” He said. I shook my head.

He went to the door and looked into the window. He jiggled the handle and reached into the window. “Oh that’s why!” He almost shouted. “What is it Max?” Edgar said. I assumed Max was his name then.

“The doors blocked on the other side but luckily the woods rotting so we might be able to push in with enough force because its looks like the door opens inward.” He finished with his hand on his jaw. As he finished Joseph and Harold came back from their discussion.

“Did you find something Max?” Joseph asked. Max nodded and told him how to get in. Joseph gave a thumb up and went to the door. He held onto the handle and pushed with all his strength.