Chapter Nine

Clark finally burst through the blanket and into the drop ship a good seven minutes later.

"Oh my- what happened? Some kind of leader you are." Clark hissed at Arlean as she approached Miara. She examined the wound.

"The arrow needs to come out." Clark said after a minute. "We can't risk infection."

Clark pulled away Miara's shirt from her shoulder where the arrow was.

"Just gotta pull it straight out." She muttered more to herself than anyone else. "Straight out."

She hesitated, then put her hands, on Miara's shoulders, then hesitated again.

"Oh seriously," Arlean growled and walked over to the table.

"Wait- Arlean," But Arlean didn't hesitate, she reached over and swiftly pulled the arrow out of Miara's shoulder.

The girl screamed but relaxed quickly, her head lolling to the side.

"You're a bitch." Clark spat, recovering quickly and pulling out bandages to stop the blood.

"Just doing my job, Clark. And trying not to let people die." Arlean said nonchalantly walking back past Bellamy and towards the door.

Clark tied off the bandages and wiped her hands, assured that Miara was stable for now.

She turned around. "Maybe you should've tried harder with your boyfriend."

Arlean froze. The tension intensified in the small room instantly and Bellamy felt more than saw the change in Arlean's demeanor.

She slowly turned around. "What did you say?"

"You heard me." Clark stepped closer to Arlean.

Bad idea, Clark, Bellamy wanted to say. But the look on Arlean's face was sending him a flashing sign with a warning that said "do not try and stop me."

Clark apparently hadn't got that message.

"I said, you probably should've tried to save your boyfriend a bit harder. What was his name?" Clark paused for a minute. "Oh yes. Carter, wasn't it? Carter Woldt."

Arlean moved faster than Bellamy was able to follow, because in an instant she was across the room and had taken down Clark with a punch to the face and a kick to the gut. Clark sprawled on the floor.

Arlean stood up slowly. "You had better be so glad, that that's all I'm doing to you. Because unlike you, Clark, I have people who will follow me. And I need to put those people's needs in front of my own. You should try it sometime." Arlean spat at Clark and left without giving Bellamy a glance.