3- Myths of Red

Marwa fiddled with her hair as she watched Aisha leave the hall, her plate untouched. Her eyes looked swollen and there were knots in her hair. She must find out what was up with the girl. She rose and followed her through the hallways.

Silent sobs came from the room. She entered to find Aisha curled up on her bed, shaking like a weed in the wind. Marwa hesitated by the doorway before walking inside. The other girl looked up at her and stretched her hand out.

"Go away!"

Marwa's eyebrows furrowed. It seemed like the girl was trying to hide something behind her, on the bed. "What's wrong, Aisha?"

"Just go away please." She pleaded.

Marwa nodded and walked away, but turned abruptly at the door. She inhaled sharply.

Red stained the ragged mattress Aisha was lying on. She scrambled to hide it from Marwa's view, but she had already seen it.

"What happened?" Marwa was reaching her hand out but the girl recoiled. "Aisha! What's wrong?"

"I...I'm not well. It happened two days ago."

"What happened?"

Marwa tried not to panic as the girl stuttered and sobbed, and looked at Marwa with fear. "It started bleeding..there."

Marwa heaved out a sigh of relief. Understanding crossed her face. "That's all?"

"What? What do you mean that's all?" Through her tears, Aisha stared at her incredulously. "I'm sick and bleeding, that too-there, isn't that bad enough?"

Marwa opened her mouth and closed it. She didn't know where to start. She racked her brain to remember what Elowen had told her when she got her first period. "Aisha, calm down. It's natural."

"What?"

"It means you're grown up now. It happens to every girl."

She stroked the girl's back and calmed her, before explaining everything.

"EVERY MONTH?" Aisha said with wide eyes, her jaw hanging open.

Marwa bit her grin and nodded. It was moments before Aisha stomached it all.

"So...I'm not dying?"

She smiled. "No, you're only growing up."

"Then why did Susan tell me to be quiet about it?"

"Susan said what?"

Susan had looked at her darkly and fished out a rag for her to wear, then told her that she mustn't go around telling anyone, or she would be cursed. The whole thing made Aisha think that it was a shameful thing. She thought she had fallen sick with some awful disease. She had hidden herself from Amma after that.

"Isn't it some sort of punishment then?"

Marwa shook her head. "No, that's rubbish...Ustadha told us that many people believe in superstitions. But there's nothing like that, Aisha. You just get a holiday from salah though!"

Aisha blinked. "I don't have to pray?"

"No...have you been?"

"Yes...I'd take a bath at night and pray all the five prayers in one go."

Marwa shook her head and laughed. "Taraweeh?"

Aisha laughed.

"You don't pray on your menses. As a Mercy, Allah lessens your obligations during this time, even if everyone around you is no less annoying. And oh- you don't fast either, and you can't touch the Mus'haf but you sure can recite Quraan!"