Chapter |27| The World Is Cruel

"I don't understand

"I don't understand. He looks so...normal."

"That's the point." My dad stated. His finger went directly to the plastered on fake smile that the bastard who stole my baby wore. "He's trained in every way possible, and probably a skilled assassin in both intelligence and kidnapping."

We hadn't yet identified the man. Kieron assumed he was foreign and was called in for the particular mission of kidnapping a two year old. Anastasia was sleeping, which I bet the bastard was hoping on, otherwise my little girl would have cried and screamed. She hated strangers, which only meant that she must be terrified about now.

"Wait a minute, go back." I noticed the level of concentration in Aaron's eyes as he studied the monitor and the fire that lit them alive when he snapped his fingers.

"There. He had a tattoo on his neck and if anything I'm betting that it's a viper. The Ivanov's mark, he's part of the gang."

"So, we can track him?" Mia asked hopefully, her fingers alive and waiting as they hovered over her keyboard.

"We can try. So far, we can assume he's from Russia or Ukraine because Mikhail doesn't employ people from anywhere else other than where his heritage lies, and the fact that they're a prominent member with a viper tattoo on their neck should be an easy track."

"On it." The sound of her furiously tapping away at the keys drew me away from the morbid reality I was faced with.

I let myself breathe for a moment, close my eyes with the mere whisper of a blink and have hope that we would find her soon because I didn't know how much longer I could last without her.

"Honey? Kiara?" I opened my eyes and felt the hope frown away.

"Yes mum." She stared at me with the same sympathetic pitiful gaze I had been receiving all day. Her hands shook a little as she raised up a small saucer. "Would you like some tea?"

I smiled. Well, as much as I could. "Why don't you sit down?" Taking the tea from her carefully, I helped her onto the couch, and placed the cup on the table. Her fingers continued to tremble and I noticed her leg shaking violently.

"Mum, are you okay?" I placed my hand in her leg. The trembling stopped.

"I just...I...I'm so terrified. I'm so scared. I haven't felt like this since Kieron was kidnapped." My brother was cruelly snatched from my nowt mere hours after his birth and kidnapped by some deranged man, who wanted my mother and my father's empire.

It seemed like a running thing in this family; fear of losing loved ones.

"It's okay mum, we're getting her back. I swear."

"Oh darling, I know. It's just always scary when it's the people you love in the firing line. With your father..." Her gaze drifted off to my dad, furiously spitting commands at his men. The same fire blazed in his eyes that burned in Aaron's, who was talking intently with my brothers.