Chapter 32

I continued training with Jake for a few hours and by this time it was about 18:00. We were doing basic stuff, defense tactics, attack tactics, and all and other normal stuff.   I was doing fine but I just couldn't get my mind off the guy from earlier. I was so distracted at one-point Jake was able to flip me straight onto my back.

I think he noticed something was up. I tried to get up to start sparring again but he pushed me back down.

"What's wrong? Obviously, something is up, you're not your normal self."

"Nothing. Let's get back to sparring."

"New girl, stop. What is wrong?"

"Like I said before, nothing." This was getting annoying; I obviously couldn't tell him the truth.

"Ok, I'm going to be honest from the moment I met you, I could tell you were different." Oh boy here we go. He continued, "I'd trust you with all I have."

WAIT. You all might think that is just really weird because I just met him, but you don't know what that means.

That one line is a code line. The code line for undercover agents to tell other undercover agents that they are on the same side. That means, Jake is from the Agency. He's on my side! I needed to give the confirmation line, so he would know I am also from the Agency.

"I feel the same about you, my friend." He smiled and nodded, his suspicions of me being undercover were confirmed.

"Random question, do you know sign language?"

"Yes."

"Cool. Come over here and we'll try another fighting tactic." While we were walking to the corner with our backs turned to the camera, he signed:

I know somewhere we can go to talk, where he can't hear us. Make sure you are in our room at 22:00 tonight.

I nodded and we continued to spar like normal for a few more hours until he had a good enough evaluation of my skills to give to Elijah. We were both unwrapping our hand wraps and he started talking.

"I am going to give this to Elijah. Your orders from him are to go back to the room and start reading these books." He handed me a pile of books and I nodded.

"I'll see you later." I said and managed to force a smile on my face, but he saw right through it. He looked me in the eyes and mouthed,

We'll talk later. You can let it all out then.

He then said normally, "Yep, good job today." I walked out and headed back to my room. It was 21:33 so all I had to do now was wait for Jake. I changed out of my clothes and put on my favorite pair of sweats. I then noticed that Teylia wasn't in the room, I wonder where she is.

I sat on my bed and was reading the books Jake had given me when he walked back in at exactly 22:00.

"How long did you wait by that door just so you could come in at 22:00?"

"No waiting, I'm just amazing like that." He smiled.

"Oh sure. So where are we going?"

"You'll see." He smiled at me and I felt really good inside all of sudden. We walked down the hallway and towards a door, that led to a bunch of stairs. We climbed and climbed until we finally came upon another door. Jake opened the door and I was amazed. We walked out into the open air on the roof of the base. I could see the stars and all the buildings around us. It was so cool.

"You like the view?"

"Oh Jake, it's amazing! Do you come up here often?"

"Yeah, it's kind of like my escape place, to get away from Elijah, and this life."

"I understand that. I'm only two days in and I already need a break." I smiled and he laughed.

"So, let's talk about to the real issue. You seem very off, even though I've only known you for two days. What's wrong?"

"I'm just bugged from some things that happened today, but I'm an agent so I can take it."

"You know, its ok to let things out once a while. You shouldn't keep all your feelings bottled up inside. It's bad for you. You can talk to me you know."

"It's fine honestly. It's not that big of a deal."

"Liz, talk to me, please. In undercover work like this, you need to express your feelings, or you'll lose yourself."

We were sitting with our feet dangling off the edge and I just stared at the ground.

"It was Elijah, right." He pulled my chin to look him in the eyes. "He made you kill someone, right?"

"Yes, and I've never done that before. I can't get his eyes out of my head. Jake, does this mean I'm a bad person?" I couldn't keep it in, I cried. I cried into his arms. I knew I was going have to get over this eventually because Elijah was going to make me do it again. But for now, I couldn't keep it in.

"No, you're not a bad person, Elijah is. He is going to force you into doing some things you're going to regret. He is going to twist and distort your brain and make you hate yourself. But you can't blame yourself. Everything you do here, you have to leave here and forget about it. Ok?"

"Ok." I was still crying but I felt better. He was right it felt good to get it out. We sat on the roof for hours until about 02:00.  We didn't talk just sat. I knew now how hard this life was going to be, but I had to get though it somehow. I have to save the world.

We got up and headed to our room, Elijah required us both to be in the garage at 04:00 again today. And now that I know what I'm going to have to face, I was really ready this time.