[endgame] alternative ending; old man steve

Okay, so basically there are 2 alternative endings for endgame
1. Ally and Steve were never together, and she waited on Bucky the whole time, so when he comes back from the blip they are together for good
2. Steve leaves Ally to go back in time (not sure why he would do that, i haven't decided but I don't need to so just imagine!) and Ally and Bucky get together later on in/or after Falcon and the Winter Soldier - most likely after [WHICH WILL BE EXPLORED IN THIS BOOK]

This chapter is the first one! Steve goes back to marry Peggy and all is well, he and Ally were never together in this storyline

!

We stood in the woods that sat next to what used to be Avengers HQ, the rubble sitting behind us, still untouched and destroyed. The light wind blew past us, laced with dust and memories as we stared at the make shift portal that Bruce was able to scrounge up out of scraps. Steve was back in his red and white suit, a gleaming silver briefcase in one hand and Mjolnir in the other, looking as light as ever for Captain America.

I stood next to Bucky, Sam on his other side as we all watched our blonde friend stare out into the distance, a somber expression on his face. No one dared to say anything, not wanting to disrupt this moment of peaceful tranquility. Bucky reached out to me, clasping my hand in his own as he squeezed it tightly, silently telling me more than words could say. "Steve" Bruce finally said as we all turned to look at where he was standing behind the control panel.

"Remember that you have to return the stones at the exact moment you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities" Bruce said to him, clicking a bunch of buttons on the makeshift time machine, flipping multiple switches with his large hands. "Don't worry, clip all the branches" Steve clarified with a nod of his head and his jaw clenched tightly in concentration. "I really tried when I had the stones" Bruce started as we looked over at him, his glasses falling down his nose as he pushed them higher. "I really tried to bring her back" he added, nodding his head at us as I looked down at my feet, not needing to hear Natasha's name to know what he was talking about.

Nobody offered any form of answer, knowing that we couldn't console Bruce on his he was feeling but also that it would be us trying to convince ourselves at the same time. Steve put down the briefcase and hammer, walking over to Bruce as he sat a hand on his arm, nodding his head in solace. He slowly moved over to the three of us, my teeth embedded in my bottom lip to stop it from shaking. "You know I can come with you if you want" Sam said to Steve, crossing his arms over his chest as Bucky rolled his eyes quickly.

"You're a good man, Sam but this one's on me, though" Steve said, extending one hand as Sam shook it firmly, placing his other on his shoulder as he nodded his head in understanding. "Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back" Steve said to Bucky, moving over to stand in front of his best friend, earning a small chuckle and a smile. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you" Bucky replied as Steve wasted no time in wrapping his arms around Bucky's shoulders, slapping his back a few times as the pair of them squeezed their eyes shut.

I looked away from the pair of them, turning back after a moment to see Steve looking over at me with a sad smile on his face. "You still owe me five-fifty from that coffee a few years ago" was the only thing I could think to say to him in this moment, and technically it was true. He let out a small laugh as he dramatically patted the side of his legs as if he was checking the pocket of his jeans. "I don't have any cash on me" he replied jokingly as I shrugged my shoulders in defeat at my attempt to lighten the mood.

"Then I'll forgive your debt" I said as I wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders tightly. It almost seemed dramatic for me to be so upsets considering Bruce had programmed a time stamp for him to come home in mere minutes. However, I knew Steve a lot better than most people, and there was no chance he was going to give up another chance on his dream that had haunted him for almost a hundred years. Steve wrapped his arms around my back, which to everyone surprise he had gotten better at hugs since I first met him.