𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝑩𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝑶𝒇 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒐𝒚𝒂𝒍𝒔𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒕 2

𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒕 2

Katherine returned to her rooms swiftly after lunch. She went to her desk, and for a moment she just stood there. Then she took a seat and just sat there, thinking, wondering what the hell she was doing because truly, she didn’t have the slightest clue. 

Lies. She knew what to do, she just didn’t want to do it sober. 

“Asshole,” she mumbled to herself and she slumped in her chair. 

She sighed once again, bored, before remembering that she still had a letter to read. She pulled out the drawer and upon second glance saw that the sender was from the Dowager Duchess de Castel, Ja'net Dubois’ cousin. She had met Eleanor de Castel before, back when she and her cousin were in her husband’s favor. But with the fall of Eleanor’s father, the two girls (they were older than Katherine at the time, but still girls all the same) quickly followed. 

They retired from court life for married life in the country with their husbands. Last she heard from them was that Ja’net was pregnant, but no letters had been sent from them since last September. 

This made the black seal all the more ominous and Katerine couldn’t bare the suspense a moment longer. She opened the letter with the dagger hidden in her skirt, careful and precise. 

Dear Queen Kat, 

I write to you, as both a friend and a sister, though I am not there to embrace you in my arms as one. In truth I simply do not have the means to return to court anytime soon, if ever again. 

As you might well know, my husband is dead and his estate and assets were given to his oldest  son, Francis. He had given Janet and I enough time to pack our things and make arrangements on where to stay but he refused to house us and our children. Understandable, only because he himself has a wife and they no doubt wish to fill the country house with their own children. 

I will not go into details on how frustrated and hurt we were at the time. 

Janet had been pregnant at the time, as you might’ve known, and caught sick sometime before she was due to lay in. She went into labor two weeks after your birthday. The result was a stillborn daughter whom she named after you, our most illustrious queen.  Days went by and Janet’s condition worsened until she passed earlier this week from the blood loss and sorrow. 

Her funeral is to be held in a few days, we were hoping that you might be  able to fund it for us? As Janet was your friend , I thought you should know what became of her. Either way your presence would be much appreciated. 

Your Obedient Servant and Friend,

Eleanor de Castel nee Dubois, Dowager Duchess of Castel