Chapter Ten

I made it to Jace's house finally, a breath of relief escaping my chest as I knocked on the door. I rubbed my hands for heat and knocked again. I couldn't keep my eyes from scanning the road around me, the bush's washed in shadow and possible movement. It was all the worse, because the woods, standing in all their mysterious glory, cast a ball of dark apprehension down my spine. Hearing his hands on the lock and door, I straightened up, watching my steamy breath come in and out in puffs.

The door opened and I saw Jace's tall frame in the doorway. He smiled at me hesitantly.

"What are you doing here? You are not asleep."

I shook my head, pushing myself in past him. "Can't. I've been sleeping all day. Sorry if I woke you."

He waved off my apology. Inside, I sat down on the couch and curled my legs up to my chest for additional warmth. I was only out there for about ten minutes, yet felt like ice inside. Jace came and sat down lazily next to me. I noticed, not for the first time, how silently he moved. Tingles ran up my arm and side where he sat only inches away. A little flip in my stomach had me clutching my legs even closer.

"So what have you been doing all this time?" I asked. He didn't look as if he'd been sleeping. His hair was as it was earlier, and he wasn't in PJ's. I marveled at the perfect smoothness to his skin, like a doll's. Beautiful in a feminine way, yet so masculine. A contradiction that had me, and I'm sure everyone else, unable to wrap normality around it, unable to look away until studied long enough, to have it worked out for the ease of mind.

"Not really anything. I have just been playing on the white device called Wii." The mundane image made me smile and shake my head; all guys liked video games, I guess not excluding aliens.

"Cool. Do you want to play?" I asked. I liked playing few games, but most on Wii. The movement it required was much more appealing, and the idea of doing anything with Jace had me a little excited. He smiled and nodded.

"Okay. It is upstairs." I got up and began to walk to the stairs, but when I felt his cool hand on my arm, I turned. I caught my breath at his unexpected closeness. His face was barely a hand width from mine, eyes staring at mine with an intensity that would break diamond. I saw a mental conflict chasing its way through his head and wondered what he could possibly be thinking of. A head taller than me forced me to cock my head up, a strand of hair falling across my forehead.

Leaning forward, he kissed me.

I was so surprised, I actually kissed back. His lips were soft and pleasant, confusing my mind for some reason. I closed my eyes, my mind whirling out of control. But that didn't matter, because his arms wound around my waist, a hand coming up to brush the hair out of my face and cup my face. My body reacted like a flower opening to the sun; my skin was on fire where his touched mine, my arms curled around his neck. I smelled his scent, like rain and an exotic spice. A thrill ran through me and all I could feel or notice was him.

"What are we doing?" he whispered, pulling away only far enough to take a shuddering breath. I opened my eyes and fell into the pools of jade that looked perplexed and searching.

"Kissing," I said softly, my hands traveling to his hair on their own accord. His eyes closed temporarily and I decided not to explain any more. This was one thing he'd have to discover on his own. We kissed again, my body pressed against his, mine soft and his hard like stone. Time seemed to stop and I could literally do this forever.

He pulled away again, a soft smile on his pale lips. His cheeks were flushed and his eyes glowed and pulsated with a new simmering heat.

"I think I like this kissing. It is odd, the urges and emotions of this species. They are so strong and..." He looked for a word "...uncontrollable. Often times, at home, my people will show signs of affection, but it...has never occurred to me that they may also do this in private." He glanced over my head, but I didn't really care at the moment to check what he was looking at. "It has just turned one. Do you want to go back to your house? It is very late and I have school tomorrow."