Chapter 2 - The Research

All eyes turned as Nancy called my name and waved the parchment around in her hands. I quickly stood and walked over to meet her while trying to avoid all the stares I was being given. Nancy noticed my hurried pace and led me away to her office so we could speak in private.

She led me into a spacious room that had a wooden desk and computer sitting in the middle. The back wall was covered in filing cabinets and there were homey decorations along the other walls. Across from the desk were two chairs where adults would come to discuss adoptions and paperwork. Nancy took her seat behind the desk as I sat in one of the chairs across from her. An awkward silence fell over us as Nancy stared at the paper in her hands.

I wanted to ask for it but I was unsure how. I stayed silent as Nancy took a deep breath.

"I've seen you grown up over the years," Nancy started.

Her tone made me worry instantly, "Are they sending me away?"

Nancy chuckled lightly, "Oh heavens no, why would you say that?"

"Some kids heard that the letter I got was my 'way out of here'," I said remembering Jake and the others.

"You know those kids. Any piece of paper is a ticket out of here," Nancy explained sadly.

I nodded as I understood; I had once been one of those kids who hoped to get out of this place. It wasn't that Lowal Child Association wasn't a nice facility! On the contrary, it was probably the best place out there for misfortunate kids. We had meals, a school, and everyone over 10 got their own room. The only problem was living here made kids feel...unwanted.

"No, this letter has so much more importance than a simple escape from here," Nancy stated quietly. I gave her a confused expression as I waited for her to go on. "Do you remember how your mother wasn't from this country?"

I nodded and shifted in my seat uncomfortably. The caretakers never talked about a person's birth family meaning this had to be vital.

"Your grandmother or your mother's mother had this letter sent for you," Nancy said as she handed it to me. It was folded into thirds and had the beautiful lettering of Francesca Nickels written on the front. Nancy noticed my hesitation to open it and added, "She's offering you to visit her in her country, and I believe it's a great opportunity."

I locked eyes with her then nodded once as I ripped the seal of the letter. I carefully unfolded it and read slowly:

Dear Miss Nickels,  
Madame Violetta has requested that you, Francesca Nickels, come to visit the country of Wilkenshire. Madame Violetta is willing to pay for all the travel costs as well as meals.  
If you are willing to accept her offer to present you to the country, know that Madame Violetta has requested that you stay for a few months. Details as to how long you wish to stay can be worked out separately.  
You are Madame Violetta's only living descendant and she wishes to get in contact with you. She, as well as everyone else present, hope you can agree to come.  
We will be in touch.  
Signed,  
Antonio Marques 

I read the small paragraph again then looked up at Nancy not bothering to hide my puzzled expression.

Nancy smiled at me reassuringly and commented, "I do hope you take their offer,"

"Why should I?" I spat rather rudely. Nancy seemed taken aback by my tone and I rephrased my question. "It's been almost 18 years, why are they asking to see me now?"

Nancy gave a small shrug, "You have your father's last name so I suppose it was hard for them to track you down."

I shook my head as I reread the small print again. How can this be happening?