Pez Dispenser

All in all, I'd have to say it was an eventful date, to say the least. Mike turned out to be a gentleman after all; at least, as far as blind dates go, I guess. He insisted on paying for our meals, even after Tony had graciously offered them free of charge (owing to the fact that Mike's clumsiness was at fault and not Tony's cooking); left a generous tip; and, after we'd said our goodbyes to Tony, even escorted me to his car and opened the door for me.

When we arrived back at my apartment, Mike offered to walk me up, but I told him I'd have to think about it until next time.

"You mean...you're telling me...there'll be a next time?" he said.

"Maybe," I said. "If you promise not to wear the entrées instead of eating them."

We both laughed, and as he opened the car door for me again, I stepped out and did something I never thought I'd ever do on a first date—besides give him my phone number, that is.

I kissed him.

Okay, I admit it. It was on the cheek, but by the look on his face, you'd have thought it was a bonafide lip-smacker.

"Don't get too cocky," I said, giving him a stern look. All the poor guy could do was shake his head rapidly, his lips closing so tight they became as pale as if he'd seen a ghost...or a second chance.

Catching his wits, he finally stammered, "I...I...thank you."

"De nada," I said, now attempting my own version of Tony's Italian accent. He was so appreciative, it was as if I'd written the check for our dinner earlier.

"So...when can I see you again?"

Now, I know that ladies are supposed to be...well, ladies...on dates, but I just couldn't help myself.

"Tell you what," I said, grabbing his tie casually, pulling him closer, and retrieving from his hand the piece of paper that contained my number. Whispering into his ear, I said, "Don't call me, I'll call you."

When I pulled back, his face was as pale as his lips had been, and his jaw was agape. At that moment, he looked like one of those old Pez candy dispensers. I started giggling. I tried to stifle it, but I couldn't help it; the thought of pushing his forehead back to reveal one of those hard, sweet candies just pushed me over the edge.

Mike's jaw returned to its normal position, and he smiled as he finally relaxed for the first time since leaving Mangioni's.

"What? What's so funny?" he asked, beginning to snicker a little himself.

"Nothing. It's just that...nothing," I said, almost hysterical by then, my laughter nearly equaling Tony's bellows from earlier.

"I guess I'll just have to find out on our next date, then," he said.

"I...guess...so," I said and wiped the tears from my eyes. "Well, I guess I'd better head on up. It's getting late. Goodnight, Mike." I started toward my apartment steps.

"'night, Jane," he said, and I heard him getting into his car when I turned back around.

"And Mike..." I yelled.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for a wonderful evening."

"You're welcome, Jane. I can't wait to give you another one."

I waved goodbye as he closed the car door, feeling my cheeks flush again. Turning back, I entered my apartment and heard his car pulling out of the drive around the same time I began to get dressed for bed.

Pez dispenser, I thought, and was flooded with laughter again.

THE END

***3-Part Book Series! If you liked this story, please check out my book series entitled SMART FOCUS. You can check out the first book in the series, Book 1: How to Stay S.M.A.R.T. and Achieve Your Most Important Goals One Step at a Time, by clicking the external link. Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a review after reading, I would consider you the best fans ever! (One of the main goals I discuss throughout the book is writing a novel!)***

More stories coming your way, so stay tuned!

Also, if you liked this story, please vote on it by clicking the star icon! Because YOUR VOTE COUNTS!