Chapter 7

"What's going on?" I asked, a feeling of foreboding washing over me.

We could hear an engine from outside. Jim crept over to the window, which depicted flowers, and opened the false image just enough to see outside.

"Quick! We gotta go!" he exclaimed, grabbing his mother and me by the wrists and dragging us up the stairs.

Delbert started to reach for the door, but a laser beam shot through it, narrowly missing him as he reflexively dodged it.

"I believe I'm with Jim on this one!" Delbert called, stumbling after us.

"Jim, where are we going?" I shouted, not understanding how he thought going upstairs would get us out of the Inn.

We could hear shouting and crashes from downstairs. Delbert ran to the upstairs window and pushed it open.

"Delilah! Stay! Don't move!" he ordered the giant creature that pulled his carriage, which luckily happened to be right below the window.

He and Mrs. Hawkins stood balancing on the small windowsill, getting ready to jump, though she seemed hesitant to do so. Jim and I looked back to see flickering shadows coming up the stairs. I started to panic.

"Don't worry, Sarah," Delbert said. "I'm an expert in the laws of physical science. On the count of three. One-"

"Three!" Jim yelled, shoving them through the opening.

I took a step away from the window, not wanting to jump out of it. Though I wouldn't call it a phobia, I was somewhat nervous about heights, especially when I was standing at the edge of someplace high.

"Come on, we have to go! Now!" Jim exclaimed, gesturing towards the window.

"I can't," I said, taking another step back. "I-I'm afraid of heights."

We heard the shouts and footsteps getting louder. I looked back at the open door fearfully, seeing the silhouettes and shadows growing closer. I unconsciously backed away from the door, afraid of what was making its way toward us.

Jim took this opportunity to grab me by the waist and jump out the window.

I screamed as I felt that horrible feeling of falling in my stomach. I was sure we were going to break our legs or worse. But thankfully, we landed in Delbert's carriage. The doctor grabbed the reigns and yelled for Delilah to go. We took off, just barely making it out of harm's way. I could smell smoke in the air, and sure enough, when I turned around, the Inn was on fire. I turned back and rested my head against the side of the carriage. The BenBow Inn was destroyed.

Mrs. Hawkins had also seen that the Inn was completely engulfed in flames. She sunk her face into her hands, clearly devastated. I felt bad for her. That had been her home, and not to mention her only source of income.

Jim pulled away the cloth wrapped around the object the old man had given him, revealing a golden orb. We looked at each other, both asking the same question with our eyes, before looking down at it curiously.