The Choice

I looked. I watched. I listened.

I read. I heard. I learned.

The button sat before me. Its blue glossy surface was trapped by a black, clear lock. Its pie graph clock ticked away the seconds, resetting every few seconds. The button mocked me. It taunted me. It laughed at me. It tempted me.

Oh, how I wanted to click it.

I knew that I could only click once. Once. Just once. Oh, why did the creators have to be so cruel, designing this in such a sad way? This button was torturing me. I didn't want to click it. I wanted to save my click, to help later, to be the hero of the subreddit.

I started to question the button. Why was I here? Why was I questioning this button? Why did I want to click it so badly? Why couldn't I click it two times? Why couldn't the Reddit team tell us anything else? Why did the choice have to be mine? Why couldn't someone else make it for me?

I was getting angry. I started yelling at the button. I screamed. I squaked. I slammed my mouse. I hit my keyboard. I punched the screen. This button was making me crazy. It was pulling my mind apart. I threw my keyboard across the room. This needed to end now.

I positioned my cursor above the lock. I clicked. I breathed out. Slowly. Now was the moment of truth. No turning back. No turning back. I breathed in. I clicked. And then I died.