1x03: Everything changes as Lou decides to enjoy a ride on the Northern line

Episode 1x03: Everything changes as Lou decides to enjoy a ride on the Northern line

London, December 12th, 2009

‘I can’t believe it! Mum, I told you I’d come home on the twenty-first, so why are you asking again?’

‘Because, Louisa, we don’t see you anymore since you’ve gone there, and it’s high time you remembered that your family’s in Bristol, not in London. That’s why.’

The young woman with long black hair and large green eyes counted to three under her breath, knowing all too well that if she were to rise to the bait, this phone call would never end. Besides, Padraig and Karen expected her at six, and she did not want to leave with her mother’s screams still ringing in her ears.

‘I promise I’ll be home as I said. Remember? Bus at Victoria Coach and all that? I’ll even pay for the cab if Dad can’t pick me up at three.’

‘This isn’t the problem, and you know it. Winter break is starting today, so why aren’t you coming back sooner?’

Why, indeed? She had reasons aplenty.

Because I don’t feel like it.

Because if I do, I’ll have to listen to you ranting for three weeks instead of two.

Because I don’t want to spend Christmas like we did last year.

Because you never wanted me to study anything other than medicine, and you can’t stand that I chose computers instead.

Because whatever I do, you’re never satisfied anyway.

‘I’ve got lots of homework already. I just want to be done with it before the holidays, so that—well, so that we can enjoy Christmas together. Quietly.’

‘Why won’t you say it? You don’t want to see us, am I right? Is it because of what happened with Dr. Wilson?’

‘No, Mum, it has nothing to—’

‘We said it was all right for you to go see another therapist in London. Really, Louisa, we only want you to get better. But please try to remember who’s paying for those studies of yours, and...’

Louisa Keynes let out a long, deep sigh, not even listening anymore. Why had she dared think this time would be different? She had enough: if Mum was to call again before the next weekend, she would just let the phone ring, and not pick up anymore. Room phone, mobile, it did not matter. Maybe she should just cancel her ride and spend Christmas alone, here at Passfield Hall. Or renegotiate with Karen, who said she could come whenever, after all. And if only her mother could stop screaming, for a change, because that nasty tone in her voice was really getting on her nerves...

‘...We were already nice enough to allow you to attend Birkbeck and do as you please, so don’t you think we deserve some consideration? You’re not spending only one week with us, I’m telling you.’

‘But I want to work before! You know I can’t do that at home, I need books from the library and—’

‘I want you home on Wednesday at the latest, is that clear?’

‘For fuck’s sake, Mum, can’t you give me a break?’

Before she could help it, Lou slammed the receiver back on its support. It took her mind long seconds to register what she had just done, swearing included, and what it would entail.

The phone started ringing.

Sod this.

I’m not picking up, she thought. I’ve just hung up on her and I’ll take the piss anyway when I come home, so it might as well be worth it!