Chapter 6

She was startled and shot upright as quickly as someone could with multiple shots of liquor in them on an empty stomach. It was 9pm, clearly not the opportune time for the nosey neighbors to wander over. She hesitated at the table and then slowly walked up to the door.

"Miss Aggie, are you up? It's – " She pulled open the door and smiled slightly at him, but the pain was still clearly visible.

"Hi, Larry." She said quietly.

"I'm sorry I came so late."

"That's perfectly fine." She responded calmly and reached for one of the many bags he was carrying. He pulled the one across his body down and offered it to her.

"It's clothing, and..." He pulled one of the store bags from his hands. "this is shower stuffs and other things." She looked in the bag. He had bought a small pack of tampons and pads, hair tiers, and make up remover.

She smiled, but it was almost a frown. Tears started and she opened her mouth to say thank you, but Larry saw and didn't give her the chance to form the words.

"I brought your luggage back so I knew you didn't have anything." He shuffled a few more bags and continued "And... I brought some liquor, but I see you started without me." He smirked slightly, almost sheepish.

Aggie laughed quietly and nodded as she started to hug the bag of toiletries he had brought for her. She had been so shattered that at this point she was just happy not to be alone.

"Okay, so here's the plan." Larry went on as he started to bring the bags to the table. "I'm going to make us some dinner."

"It's 9, Larry. You don't need to do that."

"It's just like Arizona. We're gonna have a late meal and a drink. Plus, Mitchell's wife is an amazing cook." His voice grew distant as he made his way back out the door to bring in another round of things.

"Can I help?" She followed after him.

"No, you can not. Sit down." He said not unkindly and pointed at the table and chairs as he went outside without her. He brought in 2 large reusable grocery bags filled to the brim with Tupperware and glass containers. As well as another duffle slung across his chest. He put them down beside the wooden table and walked to the door to beep his car and lock up the house again.

He took the grocery bags to the fridge and started to unload them. Aggie saw him putting away 4 glass platters, and one that he had set aside.

"She is too much." Aggie said. The alcohol very much setting in so she kept her sentences short.

"Yes, she is." Aggie could hear his smile. "I'm going to make us some lasagna because I think carbs will help us keep the whiskey in check."

"Do you care, if I go to take a shower?" Aggie asked as he preheated the oven. She became acutely aware that she was wearing the same clothes the last time she saw him.

"Not at all." He said.

"I'm really sorry. I wasn't expecting company and I just..." She felt like there was no valid excuse. She sat there all morning and chose not to take care of herself. He cut her off quickly.

"Miss Aggie, please don't worry about it." He said shaking his head. "I'm here to help." He paused awkwardly and looked down at his feet while he leaned on the oven, seeming much more like Larry. "And I'm here as a friend... and believe it or not. I understand this. So go and shower." He paused looking up at her and then at the bottle of whiskey already opened. Aggie felt shame swim through her. He smiled instead. "I'm going to catch up."

She smiled half-heartedly and wandered off to the upstairs shower. She hadn't invaded Momma's room downstairs yet and she just didn't want to which meant she couldn't get to that shower just yet.