3. Papa's Got a Brand New Bag

THE TRIO ARRIVED AT the gates of the Sanctuary a few hours after the sun had already risen. The brisk morning air would normally act as a sense of renewal, but they had been up all night for yet another long stretch, and the fresh air was no more than a grim reminder of just how desperate the Neophytes truly were to repair the damage they had inflicted on a once peaceful population. The harbour town of Belleville Ontario always smelled of fresh lake air and trilliums, but much more so during the spring. Though he had only ventured into town a handful of times, Michael rather enjoyed the quaint scenery and small town feel, and their home was located just on the outskirts.

As per usual, they arrived just in time to witness the greeting at the gates. Samael had made it a point, and had grown quite insistent that he be present when the newcomers first arrived at the historic gates, though they hadn't always made it there in time. The grounds were located at the end of a quiet country road, surrounded by lush forestry and wildlife, though if one were to stand in the highest tower, they'd be able to see Belleville's historic clock tower from a distance.

A crowd of thirty—or so crowded the towering stone pillars that encased the iron gates—stone which matched the tall walls that encased the entirety of grounds. From the front entrance, one could not see the impressive structure beyond, as the large lawn was plentiful in greenery and towering trees or wondrous variety that seemed older than the town itself.

Samael kept a watchful eye for anybody who may be unwelcomed. Despite their exhaustive efforts and countless enchantments and incantations throughout the Sanctuary, he seemed convinced that there were ways for enemies to infiltrate covertly if so inclined. The immortal was always sure to wear dark tinted sunglasses upon approach each morning, as to not alarm anyone of his mutation, as his blood-red eyes had frightened people away in the past. He stood amongst the rear of the gathered crowd with his eyes closed, silently searching the neither realm for anyone who may not have been personally invited. This was the only sure fire way to scope out those amongst them who didn't belong, but he wasn't the only one monitoring, as several cloaked Neophytes watched from behind the gates, their heads lowered, eyes concealed in the sun's shadow. This precaution was not so much for the Neophyte's protection, but for those who gathered as well, for any whose heart may not be true, may meet their fate if they attempted to step onto the grounds with ill intentions. For the corrupted or blackened heart, this move would be foolish and potentially lethal.

Though many eyes survey the cloaked Neophytes behind the black iron bars, the attention of the spectators quickly shifted as the gates swung opened, and a bright-eyed Elder stepped through to approach the podium, which had been specifically placed just outside the property line for the purpose of the daily greeting. The task of addressing newcomers was chosen at random, the team commonly deciding amongst themselves as to which of them would perform this regular duty. This particular morning, Gabriel had drawn the shortest straw.

Dressed rather casually as he commonly did, he wore his usual faded denim jeans and white button-up shirt, which hung untucked and loose, always a few buttons left open, exposing the tips of his collar bones. His dark brown, curly locks were neatly brushed and tied behind his head, exposing his freshly shaven and perfectly precise chinstrap beard. Gabriel's strongest physical attribute was his piercing brown eyes, capable of both intimidation and compassion with the slightest glance—a commanding and rather serious demeanor, to say the least.

Stepping into the warm rays of the morning sun, beaming through the shaded canopy of the twin towering oak trees that hovered over the drive-way opening, he stood confidently with his perfect posture. Before he spoke, Gabriel was sure to gesture those whose hands had risen to ask questions, asking that all arms be lowered for the time being.