18

*Zeal P.O.V*

Vawn had been staying in my den for a few days and he has changed completely. He was sick, yeah, but there was more to it than that. I just didn't know what it could be or how to help him.
He was well enough to come to school four days undo the week. I carried him most of the way and we walked the rest. I made sure he kept up with his work, though it had been a struggle to make him to much of anything besides stare at a wall.
The school was as filled as always and nobody gave him a second glance, now that he looked as miserable as the rest of them. Even the normal bullies blew him off. James walked up and I clenched my fists.
"What do you want?" I growled. He growled back and put a shoulder on Vawn's shoulder.
"Not you." he sneered then looked down at Vawn and fround.
"Vawn? What's wrong?" he asked. I snorted inside my head. As if it were that easy. And I was right. Vawn just shrugged his hand off and said nothing was wrong.
"Just leave him alone, James." I said. He glared at me.
"Who the hell are you to determine who can talk to him or not? It's probably your damn fault anyway! We went to his hoise and it's been abandoned for days! Where the hell are you hiding him?"
"If that was any of your business, you'd know, wouldn't you? So give it up!"
"No! I'm not going to let you ruin the guy I love! He's mine, and if he's not going home, he'll stay with me!!"
"Like hell he will!! I love him more than you ever will! Don't even fucking think about trying to take him from me!!"
"I don't have to think about it. I'm going to! You, a lonely mutt, can't possibly take care of him!"
"I've been doing just fucking fine so far!"
"Liar! Look at him! He's practically dead!"
"He was sick! Not that I saw you trying to care for him!"
"YOU STOLE HIM FROM ME, YOU IDIOT!!! IF I KNEW WHERE HE WAS, I WOULDN'T HAVE LEFT HIM TO YOU!!!!"
"DON'T THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE AN ALPHA YOU CAN CONTOL EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE!!!!"
We were in each others face and pushing chest to chest. The look of murder in our eyes and venom on each tongue, neither was backcing down. This was more than a show of dominance. This determined you would will Vawn. I would stand here for enernity for him. He would be my mate.
Of course, in our anger, we failed to notice two things. One, the reactions of our wolves. And two, Vawn had been cowering in a corner and now ran as we started actually screaming at each other. If we had, it would have been different. He wouldn't have been able to get to a fourth floor window. If not everyone had been watching James and I, someone could have stopped him.But that's not how it worked out. Everyone did watch us. We didn't notice he ran. No matter what, that guilt was in my heart.
We stopped and my entire body tensed at the overpowering smell of Vawn's blood. There was a scream from outside and I pushed James from me, but he follwed right behind me as we both ran outside to the front of the school. A girl was throwing up in the bushes and another sobbing while a guy tried to comfort her, not looking away from the scene on the sidewalk. Because of a tree, I could only see a foot, but I knew his shoes. I knew his scent. I knew he was acting different.....
James stopped behind me and I could pretty much hear something in him break. Unlike him, could step forward. I went right up to Vawn's body. There was a blankness in his eyes and his face showed nothing. I heard the staff start rushing out of the building, but it would do nothing. I took Vawn into my arms and held him to my chest like a precious child. His blood began staining my clothes, but I wouldn't let go. I couldn't.
I kissed his forehead and brushed his hair with shakey fingers.
"Not again....for fucks sake, not again....." I whispered, my words laced with pain. I couldn't bear another mate being lost. It pissed me off that, while my wolf was upset, he wasn't devistated as I was. Vawn might as well have been just another person that was my friend. I hated that.
"Zeal....put the body down....." I teacher tried to say gently, but even his voice shook. I growled and pulled him closer to me.
"GO AWAY!!!" I screamed at him. He jumped back. I glared at him a minute longer and let my eyes fall on James, who snuck out from behind the tree.
"This is your fault." I said. He flinched, but said nothing to defdnd himself. I turned back to Vawn. I closed his eyes and kissed his lips that were already turning cold. That's not how they were suppose to feel. I kept my face on his to warm him up and hugged him tighter. I had to ignore the sound of his broken neck. Soon, sirens filled the air.
"Sir, we need you to let him go so we can take him." A lady said, crouching in front of me. A paramedic. But, even so, all I heard was 'take him', so I pushed her away from us as hard as I could. She went a fair distance.
"LEAVE!!! NO ONE NEEDS YOU HERE!!!" I screamed, baring my teeth. She calledon her radio for help, but even when they showed up, I wouldn't let them take Vawn from me. I fought. At some point, I stood and even started kicking people. It was violent and I broke some bones. At one point, even James started trying to calm me to get Vawn away. Like I would let that fucking happen. I fought him the hardest.
Finally, someone managed to get a grip around my shoulders and pulled me back. In that same moment, James got Vawn out of my arms and took him towards where the ambluance was waiting. I screamed and thrashed and struggled, tears streaming down my face. I wanted him back. I needed Vawn back. My arms were empty. He would get cold. He couldn't get cold....!
"Zeal, stop it!!" said a voive behind me. The person holding me."Calm down. He's gone, Zeal! He's gone....let him go...." I stopped thrashing an my entire body went limp with the reality of what he said. Nick lowered me to the ground and the sobs shook my entire body, but he held me up. At some point in time, he turned me around so I coulnt watch them put my mate in a body bag. Again.
I eventually just stopped moving, totally broken. The paramedics had already left as well as staff and students. It was just Nick, James, and I outside now. Tears still streamed down my face while I, just like James, stared out the exit where they took him. In a split second, James had fallen to his hands and knees and his body, too, shook with grief.