IN THE WAKE

Cedric's death had shaken Hufflepuff to its very core. What was supposed to be a moment of triumph for Hogwarts had been twisted into something dark and evil, something that clawed its way into our hearts to scratch and rip at all our happy memories surrounding the event. Nobody could really do anything around the common room without some tears, and just eating in the great hall was hard for some of us to do. The halls that were typically filled with excited thoughts about summer leave and family plans had fallen silent with only the occasional sniffle and words of half-hearted comfort.

None of us could imagine how Harry felt, though. He'd barely been out of the infirmary more than a day when the Leaving Feast was upon us.

The tapestries that were supposed to be filled with bright colors of the reigning champion from the TriWizard tournament were stained black with the events of that day. Students pushed food around on their plates underneath the heavy fabric that weighed heavily on us all. Even the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students, who had barely had time to meet Cedric at all, were somber with grief.

Halla sat glumly beside me, not even pretending to eat her food. She'd been distraught ever since the third task, I don't think her cheeks had been dry even in her sleep. If she was even sleeping at all. Apparently the girl Cedric had taken to the Yule Ball was suffering in the same way, but his death had shaken all of us to be honest.

"Students," Dumbledore addressed the crowd, leaving us to put down our cutlery and turn toward the professors' table. "Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss."

I felt warm tears prick my eyes at the realization of what was happening. The crushing reality of it all sinking in with Dumbledore's heavy words.

"Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died."

Quiet whispers of shock broke out, surrounding his projected words with the bristle of solemn curiosity.

"You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered, by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

My ears were ringing, I didn't even really process what he was saying. Voldemort? The Dark Lord? Cedric died to the boogeyman we had been told was dead and gone, buried in the past where all bedtime stories came from. My thoughts were filled with images of a sobbing Harry, clutching onto Cedric's body as he desperately choked out words for only Dumbledore to hear on the field.

"In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end."

Dumbledore's speech had finally made us realize that Cedric was gone. There was no magical cure, it wasn't a freak accident brought on by a faulty maze, Cedric had been murdered by pure evil. The rest of the day went about the same as any other Leaving Feast, packing up and saying bye to friends but with that extra touch of desperate sadness. I think most of us shared that irrational fear--what if I never see you again? What if you run into a maze and come back a lifeless body?

Those thoughts plagued me as I watched Fred, George, and Glinda float away to the mainland to ride their way to the train station, and I stayed there watching the lanterns until they were tiny specks of light shrouded in misty darkness.

"Now, come on, son," Hagrid beckoned, with his hefty lantern lifted high. "Curfew'll be soon."

I sat in the common room, sullen. Not even the warm sizzle of the fireplace calmed my nerves. As selfish as it was, I couldn't help but think 'I knew it, I knew something was coming', because Cedric's death hadn't even cured my paranoia. Now that something bad had happened, I could only worry what would happen next.