Chapter Three

My home life is where I can escape from troubled teenagers and swagilicious new kids.

The place we live in is a more country-like place by Lake Geneva. Our side of the lake is grassy, and more farmy, and very peaceful, and even being me, I like that. Across the other side is where the party animals are; every second of the day. That's where West Nelson High School is. In the center of town. A majority of the student body live on my side of the lake however.

Dad used to call it my lake, and I was so conceded as a little kid that I believed it was. Sometimes I go out and sit in a little clearing by the water, to either do my homework or to avoid doing my homework.

I've never brought anyone out there with me before. Because that place is my quiet place, where I'm not some short mango-headed insulting girl with a violent best friend.

I'm just Hallie Jackson, the peaceful thinker. Which is actually quite funny because, well, I'm talking about me here.

I go out there today, but not until I can get past my parents at least.

"Hal, don't you want to bring out homework? How much do you have today?" My mom asks, multitasking as usual. My homework is to picture Blazes face in my head because I can't help it.

"I've only got like half a page of geometry," I shrug. Boring. Boring. Boring. I will do it, just uh, not now. Give me 40 years to do it, and I still will procrastinate it until the very end.

Dad walks into the room, to hear this "interesting" conversation. He's off of work today,... probably taking a break from all these random fires that have been happening lately. Once in a while he gets a few days off, depending on who else is able to come in and stuff. He usually keeps equipment and a uniform in his car though. He's just that dedicated.

"Hallie, make sure to do it before nine. You were going to watch the Living Dead or whatever it-" "The Walking Dead, dad, and yes I will," I say in a rushed tone as I grab a jacket and run out into the crisp outdoors before anyone can say anything else.

Dad is laughing and mom is taken aback. "Well,... bye then!"

I ignore them. I'm too busy running, thinking about troubled teenagers and swagilicious new kids. I'm even thinking about that one guy back in the 7th Grade that I am now hurt over all of a sudden. (This is why you don't try a young relationship, folks.)

But as I sit down, I take a break from everything. Today's been a hectic day just by itself, and maybe I should... relax...

*

School goes on that week, and yes, if you really care, my Geometry homework was eventually finished.

Now that I've thought about Blaze a little more than I probably should've, I'm too nervous to even look his way. He has barely tried to talk to me, so,... screw all of this. That was my one big moment, and I don't really care that I blew it, but I must admit that it's a little disappointing.

Ugh. What is wrong with me?

The week goes by actually pretty normally for the most part. Tess and I have the time of our lives ruling the halls of High School (insert sarcastic tone).

But we don't even realize the big mess that is about to break out.