03. Strange Folk

——[~Æ~]——

——[~Æ~]——

     It was surprisingly sunny when morning came and Sazrat padded back down the stairs. The tap room was mostly lifeless, a stark contrast to the night before, and almost completely  silent. Only one other person was awake and moving about. The young barmaid from the night before was wiping down tables and clearing away dishes as she sang a song about a girl named Jenny who danced with ghosts. Something about the song and the voice was familiar to Sazrat, but before she could think anymore on it the barmaid spotted her, and smile lit up her fresh face.

"G'morning, Ma'am! Sleep well?"

"Well enough, thank you. Would you like some help?"

The look Sazrat was given was bordering on horrified.

"Oh, certainly not, Ma'am! You're a paying customer! Wouldn't be fit to have you doing my chores for me. You just sit down and I'll see about gettin' you some breakfast."

"Please, I insist."

The barmaid placed her hands on her hips as she looked around the room, one side of her mouth twisted in thought. Finally, she seemed to relent.

"Could you get the dishes and put them behind the counter for me?"

"Certainly."

Sazrat set out to help the young lady, rolling her plan about in her mind before she spoke again.

"I'm Elsinore, by the way."

The barmaid smiled.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Elsinore. I'm Miranda Butterbur. My father and I run this inn. He's out running a few errands but he'll be back soon to settle your bill."

Elsinore nodded.

"It's a family business than, is it?"

"Yes Ma'am. Started by my great-grandparents little over eighty years back. I've been scrubbin' dishes and cleanin' rooms since I was a young'un. My father started lettin' me work the tavern side of things last year when I turned eighteen. I like it here. It's quiet, peaceful. Nothin' unexpected or unusual ever happens."

The older woman looked up from her chore to glance out the window. Grey clouds were slowly creeping back in 

"Clearly," was her dry comment.

Miranda came up beside Elsinore at the counter, taking a moment to pet Buttercup - who was comfortably sprawled across the countertop - and sigh.

"Well I think that about does it."

"Don't you need help washing up the dishes?"

Miranda chuckled.

"It's what I do for a livin'. I couldn't ask you to do so much work for free, Miss."