A Blonde Moment

One week, two days.

That is the count so far for the number of days Kakashi had visited Sakura's home, trying to catch her on her way in or out so they could talk. Though he could easily make his way through a cracked window and enter against her wishes, he was not about to use any such methods with the likes of Sakura Haruno. He'd seen the pounding she'd given the last guy that set her off; he didn't want to be added to that list.

Today is much the same as his other nine failed attempts at getting her attention in a passive way, but that's alright. He'll try again tomorrow. Possibly later tonight. Wait, would that be pushing it? Hmm, better stick with tomorrow...

Kakashi walks through the streets of a busy Konoha, Icha Icha in hand in broad daylight. Jiraiya had quite clearly caught onto the extent of he and Sakura's relationship, be that either by his 'research' or rumors, he doesn't know, but he finds it hard to be engrossed in the novel that is clearly about himself and his former student as this one seems to have a happy ending, and reality seems so much bleaker.

He idly turns a corner and flips a page, not really paying any particular attention to where he's going.

"Well, if it isn't you."

He looks up; and the face of Ino Yamanaka greets him.

First there is surprise on both ends, and then there is contempt.

"Hi, Ino."

"Hello, Kakashi."

Her two-worded sentence is civil, but curt. Very curt. And it doesn't take a genius to see that by the look on her face and the tone that's icy enough to match her eyes, she knows exactly what's going on. Of course, that doesn't surprise him; aside from being Sakura's best friend, Ino always had been a hub for gossip.

"Sorry for bumping into you like that, I just got lost-"

"Yeah, yeah, lost on the path of life. Heard it a thousand times."

Geez. For a girl who runs a flower shop, she sure could make a killing at selling icicles.

He awkwardly stands there, feeling obligated to at least have civil smalltalk and then politely be on his way. "How are things at the flower shop?"

The blonde gives him a deathly glare, and she unceremoniously snips away at a bundle of flowers with her shears. "Good."

"Oh, uh...that's good."

She turns away from him, violently snipping at a flower of another genus. "Yep."

Okay, then.

"Well, I'd best be on my way. Glad to see you're doing well."

He begins putting as much distance between them as possible, but of course, Ino (being Ino) says something that stops him in his tracks.

"So that's it, then? You're not even gonna ask about Sakura?"

One foot stops, and then the other, and they both know the trap has been set.

"...How is she?"

He doesn't turn, but he somehow knows she's crossing her arms. "Fine. Hurting, obviously, but she'll be alright. She just needs time to get her head together."

"Hm."

"You know, I'm honestly kind of shocked. For a second, there, I really thought you were gonna pull through for her. She could have used a good guy like you, especially after Sasuke and Hisashi. But you just had to go and mess around with Yugao-"

Kakashi whirls, both eyes aflame with refute, though Ino can only see one.

"Yugao and I are nothing. We had drinks together and reminisced about comrades that have passed. Nothing. More."

Ino is speechless, but even if she weren't, he has no intention of stopping. "I was going to tell Sakura that night, but she assumed the worst. I don't know if it's because of the amount of time I had been spending with Yugao, or if I said something, or did something when she took me home...but I'm trying, Ino. I'm trying to fix it. I just don't know exactly how."

The blonde kunoichi regards him for a moment before tilting her head in thought to respond. "Hm. Well, you've known her for basically her whole life. You spend more time with her now than I do at this point, and I'm her best friend! I'd think you'd be able to figure something out."

Kakashi shifts his stance; this is so awkward, talking with Ino of all people about his love life. Especially since said love life involved her very own friend who was twelve years his junior. He really has hit a new low. Still, he figures speaking with Sakura's best friend is better than speaking to her mentor, and for that, he's thankful. God, her mentor. He wonders if the Fifth has heard about all this yet...

"Thanks, Ino. I will."

Ino's stance morphs into one of begrudging kindness, and she looks to the sky as she sighs dramatically. "I guess you're not all that bad. I mean, you do seem to care more than Sasuke or Hisashi ever did. Even if the age difference is kinda gross."

He's not sure if she really means that or if it's just an ill-placed joke, but the copy ninja understands what the younger woman is trying to say, and so he nods his acknowledgment.

"Thank you."

Remembering the flowers in her hand, Ino quickly makes her way back inside the shop to go help her waiting customer, calling back to Kakashi over her shoulder. "Now go and fix it, already!"

She disappears inside her parents' shop, and Kakashi, having been left alone, resumes his aimless walk.

He doesn't make it five words into his book when an ANBU member drops down from the trees to greet him.

"The Fifth requests your presence."

As though sensing Kakashi's knowing dread, the black ops member adds, "Now."

They're gone before a single passerby can even blink.