Chapter Nine: Deep Conversation

Who was the most rational person to turn to right now? Rainbow Dash paced back and forth on the sidewalk, running the options through her head. Who did she feel comfortable enough to talk to? And it had to be someone who would actually be helpful. Screw just 'talking it off.' Her goal wasn't to get things off her chest – her goal was to get help. No way she'd let herself ramble on about her feelings with someone who'd contribute to nothing but a nod and a pat on her shoulder.

Twilight... Was she a good choice? Rainbow Dash felt conflicted. On one hand, the girl was very rational and good with advice. On the other, she was an egghead who could probably identify more books in a library than emotions on Dash's face.

Sunset Shimmer sounded like a better option on that part. But Rainbow had known her for a significantly shorter time than her other friends, and she wasn't sure she felt comfortable enough to get personal with the girl yet.

Using that argument, she's known Fluttershy for way longer than anyone else. They were childhood friends, after all. But as much as Dash cared for Fluttershy, she couldn't help but cringe at the thought of having to ask her for help. And sure, the girl was kind and compassionate, but that didn't mean she was familiar with bizarre emotions and knew what the hell Rainbow was going through.

Pinkie Pie wasn't even on the list, for obvious reasons.

But what about Rarity? Rainbow Dash put a hand to her chin. The girl was... Well, she was generous. And very dramatic. But maybe that was a good thing? Maybe that meant she knew a thing or two about feelings? She was the one to experience them the most, although to an unreasonable extent.

Rainbow thought about talking to Rarity. Then she grimaced. No, she couldn't talk to her about this. They saw the world from two completely different perspectives, she didn't feel comfortable with it.

Then there were Spitfire, Soarin, Lightning Dust, and all those other people. But those friends weren't the same – they were more like casual friends. Not... Friend friends.

Realistically, Applejack was the best option she had. But it's not like she could just walk up and tell Applejack that the girl was making her act like a complete creep and question why. It obviously wasn't the blonde's fault; there was clearly something wrong with Rainbow, not AJ.

And then all of a sudden, Rainbow Dash didn't need to think any further. The choice was made for her when a voice called out.

"Rainbow Dash, what are you doing here? Weren't you going home with Applejack?"

Rainbow turned around and was met with – to her dismay – not one but two faces. Twilight and Rarity gazed at her silently, both waiting for an answer. The gears in Dash's head turned as she squinted, quickly scanning the two girls in front of her.

One reasonable, one overly emotional. Good enough.

"What are you two doing?" Rainbow Dash asked them, completely disregarding their question.

The two exchanged confused glances before Rarity answered, "We're going to Carousel Boutique to pick up materials for a dress I'm making for Twilight. Why do you ask?"

"You don't happen to be able to do that some other time?" Rainbow asked, dismissing their question once again.

More confused glances were exchanged. "Er- I suppose?" Rarity replied eventually.

"Awesome," Dash said immediately. "Wanna grab a snack?"

Twilight and Rarity blinked at her, both wearing expressions that looked like something in between dumbstruck and astonished.