Chapter 17

Ian stepped out of the vortex holding on tight to Patrick. His friend’s body jerked like he’d been hit with a Taser. They appeared in a small circular building with carved stone walls. The air stank of a long-abandoned livery.

“How dare you,” the Primary roared.

“I am not going to be uprooted,” Ian shouted. He leaned Patrick against the wall and faced the Primary head on.

“Oh my god!” Patrick blurted. He shook his arms, then bounced around and patted himself.

“It’ll subside in a minute,” Ian said.

“You know better than to parashyft,” the Primary said. “Not only that, you brought a human through with you. After all your instruction, how could you ignore the danger in that?”

“You attacked us,” Ian said. Patrick’s jerking movements kicked a dirt cloud into the air. “It’s a miracle no one got hurt.” A shower of hail pounded at the windows of the vortex structure while the turmoil in the room competed with the fury outside.

“You needed to be taught a lesson,” the Primary said.

“Aaaah!” Patrick cried.

“Quiet!” Ian and the Primary shouted in unison.

Patrick grabbed his mouth and trembled in quaking silence.

“Okay, you made your point—but Primary, you can’t do this. Don’t do this, please,” Ian said, frustrated that he couldn’t keep the desperation out of his voice. A pause and deep breath flushed the worst of his anger. The weather outside eased a bit. “I’m not the child I was before. I can handle this. Give me a chance to prove it.”

Sebastian and Marcus appeared in the vortex.

“Wait.” The Primary held his hand up as Sebastian rushed toward Ian.

“Are you all right?” Marcus asked Patrick. He turned a pasty face to the Drion and nodded.

“Primary, the Heir has defied the Syndrion’s orders,” Sebastian said.

Ian gave the man an icy stare.

“I can’t imagine why, Sebastian.” The Primary threw Sebastian a guarded look then stuck his hands in his sleeves. The room grew quiet.

The door to the small building burst open. It took a second for Ian to recognize the Primary’s assistant. The wiry man entered and came to attention next to his master, his head barely at shoulder level with the Primary. The tip of a stocking cap hung over one cheek, and his flannel pajamas poked out from under a worn coat. His bulging brown eyes scanned the room, drinking in the scene.

The Primary broke the silence. “Call an emergency Syndrion meeting, Henrik.”

“It’s four o’clock in the morning here,” Sebastian said.

“That’s what makes it an emergency. Drion Marcus, see to Ian and—” The Primary turned and regarded Patrick for the first time. “Remind me who you are.”

“Ppppatrick, sir.”

“See to them both.” The Primary walked out with his assistant at his hip. He paused at the door. “Henrik, turn off the heat to the sleeping quarters if they give you any grief.” The two hunched over and stepped out into the bitter night.

Sebastian sneered at Ian then stormed out of the building.

“You don’t want to make an enemy of that one, boy,” Marcus said.

“Too late,” Patrick said through chattering teeth.

“Come.” Marcus led them outside.

A frigid blast slammed Patrick back into the structure. Ian drew energy into his core and warmth filled his chest. He grabbed his friend and tried to shield him from the howling winds. The weather wasn’t all of Ian’s doing. A natural storm laid siege to the area.