Chapter 25

Elena Parker POV:

There is a deep warm feeling that feels new to me, sinking in my chest as I gazed at his closed eyes. His chest raised and downed in a steady rhythm, his arms clasped around my bare waist. The faint light of the early sun painted his sharp jaw, giving him a glow. 

I love Adam Rutherford. 

My breath hitched with the confession, and that made him toss a little bit. His arms pulled me closer to his chest as he buried his head in my hair, his breathing fanning my neck. My heart raced in panic. I can't love him, but I do. 

His passionate kisses and words rocked my world last night and wrecked me apart at the same time. It wasn't pure lust and desire, No it felt far deeper than that, and I felt it! But then his words ringed again in my ears, as a reminder that this whole thing we share will eventually come to an end. 

And we broke a rule in the deal. This marriage was supposed to be on paper only, now what? 

"Morning," his husky voice broke my train of thoughts. My gaze found his blue ocean eyes, a warm smile on his perfect lips. A flush of shyness crept its way to my cheeks as I avoided looking at him. 

"Morning," I murmured lowly turning around covering my bare body. Trying to escape his grip, I raised myself off the bed. 

"Where do you think yourself going?" his deep voice made me shiver with chills and before I know it my body fall on the mattress again as his arms yanked me towards him. My face few inches from his. 

"Umm, I have classes," I replied. Oh great just great, I mean couldn't I say something better. This is the first thing I say after what happened between us. 

"No, we can just stay in bed all day and forget about the world," he grinned at me as his fingers brushed a few strands behind my ears. He always does that! I wish if I can do that, Adam. But if I stayed longer in your embrace I will utter words that I very much shouldn't say. 

And yes, the confession felt trapped in my chest fighting its way to get out. Closing my eyes, I kind of give up to his touch and lay my head on his broad chest. "I wish we can," I sighed wishing more than that. I wish I can love him and say it. I wish I met him differently. I wish a lot of things. 

Feeling his fingers lingering their way to my hair, he played with it tossing it around in curls. His woody smell seems to cling to his skin, and I can't help but breathe in the scent. How will I walk away from him after what happened last night? 

His silence was like an agreement to what I said because we can't help but wish and wishes don't always fulfill. "Do you regret it?" he asked in hesitation. My features remained neutral even though he can't see my face. 

Propping myself off his chest to face him, I looked at his puzzled expression. "No," I shook my head. A look of relief passes his features for seconds. Now it's my turn to ask, "Do you regret it?"

He stayed silent for what felt like an eternity. My heart raced in my chest as doubt crept its way to my thoughts. Could he say yes? and if he did what shall I say or act? I stilled in my place gazing at him anticipating his reply.

"No," his smile repaired on his handsome face, making me release a breath I very much know that I was holding since my lungs burned for air waiting for his answer. We gazed at each other in silence, and I desperately want to know what he is thinking of. 

"Now, Mr. Rutherford. Someone has a class in half an hour and as I remember he hates when students show up late," a mischievous smile reached my lips. Adam's eyes seemed to widen in amusement, "Oh really."