Acknowledgements

In his book Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon writes, “You are, in fact, a mashup of what you choose to let into your life.”[Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist (New York: Workman Publishing, 2012), 11.] Kleon’s words are indicative of this project and our lives. We begin these acknowledgments admitting that nothing we have ever written is truly our own. We are standing on the shoulders of giants. Or, as the proverb teaches us, there is nothing new under the sun. This work is a conglomeration, reconfiguration, and reinvention of the ideas we have read, heard, talked about, and wandered through over the past several decades. 

The words of authors in and around the reformational perspective have marked our understanding of and practices in the world. Authors Brian Walsh, Al Wolters, Jamie Smith, Andy Crouch, Nicholas Wolterstorff, Richard Mouw, Amy Sherman, Richard Middleton, and Calvin Seerveld have affected us from afar. Their books are heavily marked, tattered, and dog-eared from years of perusal. We have both been deeply moved by many mentors. Chief amongst these are Steve Garber, Brad Frey, and Don Opitz. Each of them, in different ways, have been with us through the journey in a world of gravity and grace. 

There is also the membership of Geneva College and our local congregations. We are grateful for the women and men who have nurtured us and taught with us in the classroom (in the Humanities and the Masters in Higher Education programs) and beyond in the work of Student Development. Also, of course, are the many students who have inspired and encouraged our work along the way.

We are both grateful for the influence of the CCO (Coalition for Christian Outreach) and the important work they do in the lives of college students. We are different people because of this organization. The CCO’s Jubilee conference is perhaps the most important gathering of young people in America. For decades it has helped students understand the connection between the grand biblical story and their lives and vocations. Through our relationships with the CCO we have fallen in love with the work of Byron and Beth Borger in their little corner of the Kingdom, as owners of Hearts & Minds Books. They are wise companions in our storied lives.  Thanks to Byron for a final careful reading.

We are deeply indebted to our Beta Readers who took the time to wade through a first “final draft.” They provided push back, encouragement, and humor to the process. For making time to read and respond we would like to thank: Jonathan Bacon, Krista Barnett, Sara Bauer, Chelsi Cannon, Nick Carson, Joel Comanda, Tim Edris, Anjelica Farino, Cliff Kelly, David Ketter, David Opalka, Anne Patterson, Jana Postma, Chris Stern, Tori Trapanick, and Greg Veltman. We must give a special thanks to our Alpha Beta reader, Jason Panella, who sweated over our words and gave us something a bit more beautiful and David Opalka who waved his design wand over our cover art in an act of restoration. 

Of course, there are friends and colleagues, too many to name, who have contributed to our development in the ways we learn, love, live, and lead. All of these are important members of the mashup. Particular thanks to Scott Calgaro for listening, asking, and offering some answers and Patrick Boyle for being the quintessential example of creation and restoration.

Most of our gratitude ought to go to our wives and kids. They have been supportive and patient. All of the stories about them in these pages are mostly true.

Finally, thanks be to the Lord of creation and restoration. We are grateful to have been drawn into His story, by His grace, and given a part to play. 

Soli Deo gloria.