7. calories

Sunoo leapt off the sofa when he heard the doorbell ring.

"Niki!" Sunoo squealed, throwing his arms around the boy in front of him. Niki looked unbearably attractive that day; minimalistic, loose white shirt, black jeans and a couple of bracelets.

Taking a giggling Niki by the hand, the older raced up the stairs to his room.

The first thing Niki's eyes darted to was his collection of jeans chains which was displayed beautifully on a thin metal hanger on the wall next to his mirror.

"Oh my god," Niki breathed, "Your chains are so beautiful." He reached a hand out to touch one with his finger and gasped.

"They're... chains. You could borrow a few if you'd like," Sunoo offered.

Niki's eyes lit up. "Are you serious?"

"Of course!"

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Niki squeaked, jumping and hugging Sunoo extremely tightly, nearly toppling him over.

The couple sat across from each other on the bed. They talked for a while, drabbling on a little bit about an assignment that's due soon, a new movie on Netflix, et cetera, et cetera.

"The sky looks pretty today," Niki remarked, looking outside the window.

"Yeah," Sunoo paused, having just thought up the most legendary pickup line ever. "But who's looking at the sky when they could look at you?" He smirked, watching Niki's mouth fall open and his cheeks flush red.

"But you've stolen the spotlight already," Niki grinned, putting Sunoo in a spot to blush this time. He watched as Sunoo took a pastel-pink cushion from the floor and placed it on his lap with his eyebrows furrowed, thinking of something to say back.

"You say I've stolen the spotlight, but what about you stealing my heart? That's a crime," Sunoo said, batting his eyelashes.

"I'm the one committing the crime, huh? No, no, you've been charged guilty of being way too adorable. I'm going to have to arrest you for that," Niki laughed.

"Oh no! I guess I'll need a knight in shining armour to save me! The one right next to me will do well enough."

"This isn't shining armour, just muscle," Niki grinned, thumping himself on the chest with his fist.

"I think you need some tape because you're totally ripped. How many calories did you burn to get this hot?" Sunoo burst out in uncontrollable fits of laughter at how unbelievably dad-joke-ish and corny that sounded.

The younger boy combed his fingers through a section of his purple hair, taking a minute to absorb how beautiful his boyfriend was. How his laugh sounded more serene than a thousand tinkling bells and how his eyes looked as if even all the stars stolen from the night sky wouldn't compare to their glittering, how his lips looked perfect in a smile and looked so plush when he spoke.

How they looked so inviting.

"I don't know about that, but I heard kissing burns 32 calories a minute. Wanna try?" Niki bit his lip anxiously, waiting for a response. The older boy fell silent as Niki inched closer, slowly. The tension between them was agonizing, and Sunoo couldn't bear it any more than Niki could. He reached forward with both arms and grabbed Niki by the neck, locking their lips in a long, passionate kiss. Niki's arms travelled to Sunoo's waist, pulling their bodies even closer.

To be completely frank, both of them loved it and wished they could stay like that forever. If it wasn't for the need for oxygen for survival, they certainly would have. Niki pulled back first, leaning his forehead against Sunoo's. The latter sighed in contentment before breaking into a smile.

"So we just burnt around 20 calories?" Sunoo asked, placing a delicate kiss on his boyfriend's nose.

"That's right," Niki chuckled. "Do you want to burn some more?"

"Just say you want to kiss me," Sunoo giggled, pulling Niki by the collar of his shirt and laying down on the bed so that their chests were pressed up against each other.

"Yes, Sunoo, I want to kiss you," Niki cooed, before planting a trail of kisses all over Sunoo's cheeks, his nose, his forehead and finally, on his lips. Sunoo giggled with his eyes squeezed into crescents and yipped, "too many kisses!" every now and then.

If there was something Niki wanted more, it was time. He wanted all the time in the world to spend with his love, with his friends and with his new life. He didn't want to go back to living the way he used to, ever.

But he knew that it was the one thing he wouldn't get.

After they were done overwhelming each other with kisses and began conversing normally, Niki's tone suddenly changed to seriousness.

"So... I don't know if this is the right time to tell you this," but I'm probably moving back to Japan soon."

"You-you're what?" Sunoo spluttered.

"Korea isn't really working out for my younger sister with her health and all that. You know she has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, right? I told you. So her specialists are all back in Japan and she's had a couple of setbacks since we moved here. My older sister's probably staying back here though, considering she's in uni. But for me... I'm going to have to go, too."

"Niki," Sunoo whispered, "I— I don't know what to say, I mean— we just got together and now you're going—"

"Hey," Niki took Sunoo's hand and squeezed it to soothe him. "I'm not even sure we're moving. If we find the right ALS doctors here, we can stay. That's going to be hard since it's a rare disease and not curable." Niki's voice broke as tears welled up in his eyes. "But we're looking. Day in and day out."

"Oh wow..."

A heavy silence filled the room, and it made Sunoo feel sick in the stomach.

"Let's change the subject," Niki sighed, wiping away a few tears that threatened to spill over his eyes. He wrapped an arm around Sunoo's shoulders and leaned back, causing the latter to lean back on his chest. The other hand made its way around his waist, and they sat there comfortably, relishing the presence of each other.

Niki was scared of leaving, and he knew that would be their fate in the end. But what was he to do? He couldn't run away from it, could he?

He might as well make the most of the time he had left with Sunoo...

--

sad twist? I'm sorry!

listen up, how many of y'all are interested in joining a server for engine readers and writers? if you are, comment here and I'll dm you the link!

get ready for the last few chaps of this book! ;-;

love,

ara <3