Chapter Three: Descent

In a noble residence,

Far north of Fujian province.

On the eighth day of the eighth month of the year of the Dragon.

...

Feng Xue watched the preparations with a serene gaze. Before him, a great wooden edifice on the east side of the main building was being decorated at beguiling speed, a worship altar erected in the middle. Poles were erected, and upon them, young maidens planted spring flowers to balance out the metal-heavy feng shui in the air. The calming smell of water lilies intermingled with the edgy scent of polishing oil and sharpened steel.

Servants busied themselves, arranging the decorations and preparing the items for the occasion. Feng Xue stood quietly at the entrance. To his left—on the door—hung two bows and a yin sword. A musky yang aura with an undertone of yin wafted of the objects. Behind him, deep within the main building, one could faintly hear the distressed moans of a woman suffering the throes of childbirth.

The father-to-be waited, staring silently at the proceedings in a bid to distract himself from the nervous fluttering in his stomach.

"Master," a soft male voice called from the side. Feng Xue didn't need to turn around, having long noticed the mortal servant walk up behind him, instead he beckoned to the eunuch to speak with a wave of his hand.

"An elder Taoist monk just arrived," the servant said, bowing deeply in reverence. "They requested an audience with you, sire."

"Oh," Feng Xue made a sound of surprise, "did the virtuous teacher mention what is it they seek?"

"No, sire," the eunuch said with a small shake of his head.

"They only requested the presence of the lord of the household and a place to acknowledge indebtedness to the Dao for journey mercy."

Feng Xue fell silent for a moment.

"And how was this virtuous teacher received?" he asked.

"Pardon my brashness, sire, but Daoshi(1) awaits your arrival in meditation at the holy grounds," the eunuch replied.

Feng Xue nodded in approval before turning his gaze to peer into the building, his face creasing into a contemplative frown.

"Except Yu'er and her maidservant, no one enters or leaves until I return," he said after a momentary pause, before departing for the holy grounds.

With another deep bow, the eunuch replied. "This servant understands."

...

A minute later, Feng Xue arrived at the holy grounds.

He looked around the garden to see an aged monk standing in solemn meditation before an ancient bonsai tree. A few meters away, a small stream flowed down a small waterfall hanging off the side of the hill. With a meek, trickling sound, it descended before winding its way east, curving teasingly around the bonsai in its path before disappearing down another waterfall.

The soothing, tranquil aura in the air did great wonders easing the inflamed feeling in Feng Xue's guts. Under the influence of the balanced feng shui, the young patriarch calmed visibly.

Feng Xue stopped a few feet away from the meditating man and waited, opting not to disturb him. Though, he didn't have to wait for long.

With his forearm raised in a respectful hold fist salute, the monk bowed to the bonsai tree before turning around to face Feng Xue. The monk walked with a hunched limp, his aged gaze squinted into a small slit, the whites of his eyes barely peeking out. His white eyebrows and bread extended well below his chin, his face was wrinkled, weathered by time like the bark of the bonsai behind him.