Everything changes

Everyone was gathered around a small fire on the beach, some had blankets and some were huddled close for warmth. The gentle breeze had picked up as the day came to an end and teeth were chattering. The fire didn’t do much for warmth but it created a nice atmosphere. The crackling was strong but calming. It reminded him of his family as they sat around the fire pit before bed to warm up and his mother and father would tell a story to his sister. He used to think the stories were boring and useless but right now he’d do anything just to be with his family. The homesickness was hitting hard recently. Especially when he felt down, his family would do what they could to cheer him up. Being the youngest stuck on the beach, he struggled to bond with the other men meaning most of the time he was alone. Occasionally, some of them would feel bad and decide to sit with him for an hour or two every now and then. Even then, he appreciated the company. A few of the men stood up and began to make their way back to the houses as the fire died down. He decided to stay a bit longer and eventually he was left alone. The fire had reduced to embers as the last of the sun dropped below the horizon. A shiver made its way up his spine and he decided to make his way back to his “house”. Before he left he covered the firepit with sand. As he ducked down below the doorframe, a small rustle could be heard and he froze. Just an animal he assured himself but he couldn’t sleep. Without noticing, he had drifted off into a dreamless sleep but was unceremoniously awoken by a soldier tugging on his arm and dragging him out through the back door, sounds of shouting and gun shots could be heard not too far away. He questioned the soldier dragging him about the situation but all he got was one word. The one word that changed everything. “Nazis”.

•°•°•°•°•°•°
A/N sorry this is kinda a short chapter but I tried