Chapter 08

"Guang Bo! What are you doing? Put down your weapons!" A woman stepped out from the crowd, everyone parting to let her through. "Shang-Chi. Xialing. I'm your aunty Nan." She introduced herself in mandarin before hugging Xialing first. "I've waited so long to meet you." She pulled back from Xialing before moving towards Shang. "You look like your mother." She tells him while cupping his face with a smile. She pulls him in for a hug which he reciprocated after a moment.

"Hi, I'm Katy." Katy introduced next with a smile and wave.

"Welcome to Ta Lo, Katy." She hugged her too.

"Oh, thank you." Katy hugged her back happily.

"And you are?" She looked to you as you stood back away from the group shyly. You looked to Shang who gently nodded at you that she was safe.

"I'm y/n"

"Welcome, y/n" she smiled kindly and hugged you gently. She stepped back and laughed as Morris jumped out of the car and ran over with excitement. "Look who has found his way home"

"I'm not a threat. Just an entertainer. Morris can vouch for me." Trevor called out as he got out of the car and raised his hands in defence.

"We don't have much time." Shang looked to his aunt, getting back to business. "Our father is coming." She nodded in understanding, guiding you all away.

"Our people have been here for over 4,000 years, preparing for something we hope will never happen." She lead you to look at the mountain across the lake. "We are the keepers of the Dark Gate, sworn to protect this realm and yours from the evil that's locked behind it."

"Our dad is coming here to open that gate. He thinks you're holding our mom there." Shang tells her why he is coming.

"Why would he think that?" His aunt asked in confusion.

"She told him. He says he can hear her asking for help." Xialing explained.

"Is he wearing the rings?"

"He hasn't taken them off since she died. What do they have to do with all this?" Shang asked.

"The realm of Ta Lo stretches far beyond the shores of our small village. We have cities that surpass any in your universe, rich with culture and history. Thousands of years ago, all of our people lived in peace and prosperity, until the attack of the Dweller-in-Darkness." She brought you to a sculpted wall with the history of Ta Lo carved into it.

"He came with his army, devouring every soul in their path, and with each kill, they grew stronger. After decimating our largest cities, they were headed to your universe to do the same. The leaders of Ta Lo sent their strongest warriors here to stop them from reaching the portal to your world. But our ancestors were no match for them. Until The Great Protector joined their fight and turned the tide. Together, they pushed the Dweller and his army into the Dark Gate and locked it behind them. Our people have guarded that gate ever since, empowered by the magic of The Great Protector and the gift that she gave us." She finished the story of their people, ending the mural wall.

"Follow me" Nan lead you all towards the weapons hut. The hug was loud and chaotic, everyone preparing for the battle to come. Katy gasped in awe, watching as a man cut through a chunk of wood with ease using nothing but a simple staff.

"Dragon scales." Nan stated calmly. "Makes very good armour. Your father isn't the first to come here to open the Dark Gate. Many have tried and failed over the centuries, and they all had one thing in common. They were lured here by the voice of something on the other side. A voice that promised them their greatest desires."

"So you think soul eaters are talking to our dad?" Shang worried for his father deep down.

"They know The Ten Rings have the power to break them free." She explained. A clatter of noise caught your attention as you noticed a woman who had dropped a pile of arrows. Rushing over you helped to gather them off the floor.