New House

Fallen Angels: Supernatural

Book 1

Chapter 1: New House

I watch my old swing set that my sister and I used to play with in our backyard. We would swing up in the air, pretending we were angels who could touch the sky. Or sometimes, leaning back watching the clouds. We would close our eyes, thinking that Peter Pan would be waiting for us when we open them again. We believed he would take us to Never Land. We would hang upside down from the pole like the Lost Boys, roll around in the grass and pretend we were defeating Captain Hook and his group of loony pirates from their ship; and then, fly back home by the fairies' pixie dust. But then we grew up, leaving all that behind us, knowing nothing like that would never happen. Especially to us.
The swing set now stays still, once in a while swinging itself by the wind. Nature has taken over the swing. Herb has grown tall around it, and poison ivy holds on to the poles that keep the swings up. A thin layer of snow over it.
I get flashbacks of memories in it but now we're leaving this house and moving to a new one all across the city.
My family and I set down the last small boxes into our mini van and take off down the road into the heart of the city.
"I hope you like this house," My mom tells us. My dad drives smoothly down the street with a large truck following us behind. Morning light shines through the car's windows.
"How big is it?" My sister, Beatrice, asks.
"Two stories up, basement, big windows, large spaces and you each get your own rooms." My father says as he pulls up to a red light.
"Finally!" Beatrice says happily. I don't know how I feel about getting my own room. I never had a room to myself, it's always being me and Beatrice together since we were little. Now that she's sixteen and I'm fourteen she looks at me differently, but it's only a two year difference.
After an hour we arrive to the quiet new neighborhood. Well not new exactly. The sidewalks along the side of the road have cracks deep enough for the snow to fall in between, all the trees are bald from the cold weather. The sky darkens over us, little light peeking in between the clouds. The houses are old, made out of wood and large windows. I wonder if some of the houses are even occupied. Everything is quiet and still. It's like a dead neighborhood.

We drive up to a large white house at the end of the street. I climb out of the car and into the icy road and close the car door behind me, stepping closer to the house. I get a shiver down my spine.
"Oh, my god." Beatrice appears next to me, her eyes wide open. "I can't believe we'll be living next to that." I turn my head from the house and follow her gaze to an old cemetery next to our house. Goosebumps shoot up my arms.
"Dad!" Beatrice calls out.
"Yes, pumpkin?" Dad says walking around the car with a box in his arms.
"What's that doing there?" Beatrice asks.
"It's a cemetery." Dad says.
"Yeah, I figured." Beatrice says. "But why are we living next to it? You never told us we had a bunch of dead people as neighbors!"
"Have respect." I say but Beatrice ignores me.
"I didn't think it was that big of a deal." Dad says.
"Of course it big deal! It's a very big deal! How am I suppose to make friends if they know I live next to an old, creepy cemetery?! What would they think?!" Beatrice asks.
"It doesn't matter where you live, Beatrice, it's what they think of you that matters." Mom says emerging from the car.
"Ugh." Beatrice says and marches up inside the house. A cold wind whooshes down. I look around, having the feeling I'm being watched but there's no one around. I grab a box from the car and walk up to the house. My parents stay outside, helping the movers carry our stuff from their truck. I twist open the doorknob an walk inside. The floorboards creak with every step I take. I slowly set down the box in the wooden floor, taking in the large space of our new home. Beatrice stands by the large staircase, looking up the stairs with curiosity in her eyes. I walk a step towards her, making a creak escape from the wooden floor again.
"Oh!" Beatrice says stepping away from the staircase "It's just you."
"It's just me what?" I ask.
"I thought I heard something, but now I see it was just you." Beatrice says a bit too quick. "I'm going to go outside and help with the boxes." And with that she walks away quickly, leaving me without a response. I stare up at the staircases until I decide to head upstairs. A long hallway appears before my eyes. Six doors that open into rooms, line up the hallway. One is Beatrice's and my bedroom, our bathroom, the master room and an office for our parents, and a guest room for any guest. I head for the second door on the left, twisting the knob half open but doesn't open up. I jiggle the knob and push myself against the door. I give up and kick the door.
"Dad." I call out. I hear mom and dad turn on the lights downstairs and set down boxes. "Dad!" I half scream.
"What? What is it?" Dad says as he walks up the stairs.
"My door won't open." I say.
"Let me see." Dad says. I stand back to give him space. He puts his hand on the knob and twists it open, letting the door swing open with a small creak. I stand in awed behind him.
"I swear it was locked." I say.
"Yeah, well, it clearly wasn't." Beatrice says appearing behind me with more boxes. She makes a beeline to her room all the way across the hall.
"It's an old house. We'll just have to get use to some small problems until we have money to fix them up." Dad says. I step inside my room, the smell of smoke filling up my nostrils. I start sniffing around, trying to locate a source. Right in the middle of the room on the carpeted floor is a huge stain close to the form of a human body and small stains of red liquid. Dry and old.