(2) Introductions

The nameplate read:

Tom M. Riddle

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sophie could hear movement from behind his door and wondered if he was already up but she didn't want to disturb him. She unpacked the things in her suitcase and laid them out in an organized way. She could barely reach the hangers in the wardrobe but she managed by using her quick thinking skills.

After dusting her hands off and glancing around the room, she was happy with her work and breathed deeply in and out. The death of her parents hadn't hit her yet and it wasn't entirely given that it would. She could hear more noises from the room across from hers so she snuck out of her room and blankly stared at the blackened door that had Tom's name on it.

She knocked on the door, ignoring what time of day it was. Instead of hearing steps come close to the door to greet her, she heard a voice: "Come in," he said, sounding a bit annoyed. Sophie opened the door and met the glare of the boy in the room.

Sophie was surprised by the boy's expression but he looked around her age so she walked into the room to greet him, "Hello, my name is Sophie

Sophie was surprised by the boy's expression but he looked around her age so she walked into the room to greet him, "Hello, my name is Sophie. My parents passed away this morning and it's my birthday," she said as she held out her hand to him.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Tom could hear Ms. Cole coming up the stairs so he quickly ran to turn off his room's light and slightly closed the curtains by his window. He heard her stop in front of his room and expected her to barge in. Instead, she began talking to someone outside so he crept a bit closer to the door to try and hear what was going on.

All he could hear was a door being unlocked and then Ms. Cole walking back down the stairs. Tom sighed in relief and then leaned his head back on the door, relieving his tensed neck in the process. He then walked over to his bed and stared out the window to watch the sun come into view over the building adjacent to the orphanage. That's when he heard knocking on the door.

He pondered who it was for a second before speaking, "Come in," he said as he glared over at the door in an annoyed manner. A girl walked in and he was stunned at the new face. She was different than the other kids at the orphanage. There was something else he could see behind her eyes, he just didn't know what.

 There was something else he could see behind her eyes, he just didn't know what