Forever

"How long are you gonna be gone?" she asked, a smile spread across her thin lips.

   "I think it was a month or a year. Which one is shorter, Emily?"

   "A month is a lot shorter, silly," Emily answered with a smile as she playfully poked her friend.

   "Oh okay. Can you teach me more about the pilgrims?' he asked happily, returning her smile.

   "I told you all I learned already. I'll learn more in school tomorrow."

   "But I won't be here tomorrow," he replied somewhat sadly, his head drooping.

   "Then I'll tell you when you get back! Maybe then you can go to my school, and we'll be able to learn together!" Emily exclaimed as she threw her hands in the air excitedly.

   "Well, can you teach me about the fun we'll have when I get back?"

   "Well, Alec, when you get back we can play everyday, and eventually we'll grow up, but you'll catch up to me and grow older and taller than me, and then we'll get married and be best friends and have fun forever!"

   Alec listened intently with a smile as Emily happily explained the fun they would have. They sat together on the lush, green lawn, the bright summer sun shining above them. The smile on her face never faded as she explained their future. 

   "Alec, time to go," his mother called as she carried her baby to the car.

   "How long will you be there?" Emily asked again.

   "It'll only be a month, silly," Alec answered as he hopped to his feet.

   "Okay, I can't wait to teach you more about the pilgrims when you get back!" Emily expressed as they walked to the car.

   Alec opened the door and crawled into his seat. "That will be fun," Alec replied with a smile.

   "Yup! Well, goodbye for now," she sighed.

   The boy closed the door and rolled the window down, before popping his head out the door. "See you soon!" he exclaimed as the car pulled out of the driveway.

   Alec pulled back into the car and quickly turned to look out the back window. Emily stood on the sidewalk near the driveway, waving as the car continued down the road. The sun made her golden hair glisten, and painted the picture in a beautiful light. As she disappered from view, he couldn't help but feel excited to see her again, and to play and learn again. Seeing her again couldn't wait.

   I just wish I could have the chance to see her again.

   Rest in Peace, Emily. September 21, 2014.