chapter 1

Thneeve.

Eve pov:

Highschool. As difficult as it is I’m living it. I’m supposed to start my junior year this morning. But am I up for the challenge? The work, the teachers, the food, and oh god, the relationships.

The relationships. Even if I wasn’t I still have to go, kind of the law. And my dad is expecting me to go to college.” Only two more years to go” I say as I walk to my bathroom to freshen up.

After brushing my teeth I walk to my room preparing myself for the big decision. “What am I gonna wear” I mumble.

you see, it’s the first day of school and I usually wouldn’t care but I’m going for a new kind of look this year. A fresh start from last year is what I need. Now I don’t want to come off as too bold but also not too shy, not too revealing but not too kiddish, not too geeky but not too popular.

I rummage through all my clothing ripping them out of their designated spot in my dresser. I’m over it. Already. I’ve been awake for five minutes and I’m already over it. I throw on a random shirt and some jeans and call it a day.

I grab my phone and house key from my bedside table and run down the stairs. When getting downstairs the aroma of pancakes fil my nose. I see my dad with his back turned to me and front-facing the stove “morning” I spoke, well maybe more of mumbled because dad didn’t say anything back.

As I’m making sure everything is in my bag dad seems to finally notice my presence. “Ah, good morning eve “he spoke in an energetic tone. “Have you been drinking coffee?” I ask knowing it gets him all riled up. “yeah” he hesitates as he places down a plate of pancakes. “eat” he demands in a kind manner.

I go to sit down but immediately stop when I notice tiny bits of dad-beard-hair in the pancakes. “actually I think I’m good dad" I say loud enough for him to hear while putting my backpack on. “but-" I cut him off “alright bye dad off to my junior year" I spit out quick enough to not get a response and shut the door.

I lock the door and shove my phone in my pocket. “alright” I sigh as I start walking to Greendale high, where I will suffer the rest of the year. “why are there so many?” I mumble to myself as I arrive at the infamous high school watching all the kids in different groups sitting in the courtyard and chatting away.

BEEP BEEP. Shoot! The first bell. I've got 10 minutes to get to my first period which is as lucky as I am in history. As I hurry down the halls that seem to be thousands of feet away, I catch a glimpse of chocolate brown hair and glasses.

Oh goodness. I think to my self admiring the boy's face.

BAM.

I fell.

It's my first day of school and I tripped. “whoa you ok there kiddo?” I hear a raspy voice call to me. I look up from my face plant and see a man with round gold glasses and floppy light brown hair wearing a green turtle neck sweater.

The man reaches a hand out to me. “here” I grab the man's hand while thanking him. While I dust myself off I look up to see if the chocolate-haired boy was still at what I'm assuming was his locker. To my disappointment, he was not.

unannounced to me the man who I assumed was a teacher had picked up my schedule. “ oh looks like you have my class actually Mrs.-“ “Wilson” I tell the history teacher. “ well Mrs. Wilson, I am Mr. graham, and I presume we should get to class, I myself am running late” he speaks while walking in the opposite direction I was going. Welp I would’ve gone the wrong way anyway. We made it just in time.

Now that I've got that down I need to find where to sit. As I scan the room for an empty seat amongst the chatty kids I see the chocolate-haired boy sitting in the back of the class with his friends. While staring at the boy we make eye contact and I freak out and my legs start to move without thinking and I plop down in the first empty seat I can find. Two seats away from him. Not bad I guess.

BEEP BEEP

And the day begins.