Chapter Five

Have you seen BOSS UNDERCOVER? It's LIVE on Amazon for purchase! Also, if you haven't followed me on Instagram and my Facebook page, GO! GO! You don't want to miss the updates! It will be nice to see you there! Instagram: J.S.Badham Twitter: J.S.Badham1 Facebook Page: J.S.Badham.

If you buy BOSS UNDERCOVER! LEAVE A REVIEW! YOUR FEEDBACK IS WELCOME!

This chapter has been changed and edited. 

***

Wednesday. So, far, so good, she was surviving half of her first week at work. It must have been three am when she finally drifted off. She was trying to get as much as the emails finished off so she had less to worry about tomorrow. There was a lot of work as a personal assistant, there was no denying that.

Buzz. Buzz.

Harper jumped up awake. She grabbed at her phone that was vibrating on the bedside table. It was him. At five in the morning? She only gotten to sleep less than 2 hours ago.

"Hello?" she answered, trying as best not to sound groggy.

"Harper," he began. That was the first time she heard him say her first name. "I'm having Samuels pick you up very soon. I'm having trouble that data sheet you sent over yesterday. I'll see you soon." Then he ended the call without allowing her a response.

To work? At this time?

There was no refusing. With exhaustion exerting all over, it was a trouble and a half to try and get up.

As expected, when Harper was waiting at the front of complex, the same SUV drove up to the curb revealing the fifty old driver, she assumed at least that's old he was, behind the steering wheel.

"Miss Daniels." He tipped his cap as he got out and opened the door for her.

"Thank you." She climbed into the back.

They weren't heading towards work. Far from it. They had missed two turns. Harper looked out the window in confusion.

"Erm, Samuels, you—you passed the—"

"---We're going to Mr Brewer's residence," he interjected politely.

"Oh."

Double oh. His place? She wasn't sure she could handle the thought of entering his place. A place that can reveal more about a person than anything.

The SUV pulled up outside a metal garage. Samuels pressed the window down before inputting a four digit code. The door opened revealing a bright, grey lit corridor that once they drove down deeper revealed eventually a large space with an array of cars parked up. These weren't just ordinary cars. They were the expensive assortment. Sports cars.

Samuels parked up, got out and opened Harper's door.

"The lift to the penthouse is just there. Mr Brewer will be expecting you," he stated.

"Oh, okay, thank you," Harper muttered, anxiously holding onto the strap of her handbag as she began slowly trailing towards the shiny doors of the lift. Is this what being rich is like? Chauffeured constantly? Lots and lots of cars and your own penthouse on the top floor?

Harper entered the shaft, pressed the top floor button and waited anxiously as it ascended towards the top. The nerves weren't stopping, they kept nagging. It was clear she was anxious to see him, and to see him more so in his home.

The doors slid apart revealing a modern, spacious floor. And then she spotted him. Sat on a cream couch, eyes studying his laptop resting on his lap. Her mouth felt dry as she shamefully worked her eyes across the v-neck black t-shirt spotting the lines of his abs unable to disguise their definition.

His eyes met hers. "Harper. You're here, good," he said, standing up and placing the laptop on the side.

Her eyes went to the nakedness of his feet as they padded across the wooden linoleum floor. He was even wearing casual joggers, no suit trousers. He looked so comfortable. Not like the boss she had seen yesterday and the day before that. Could he be anymore attractive. Harper knew she was undressing him, and that dangerous. Especially in his own home.

"Y-yeah," she stuttered, readjusting her bag strap as she gripped onto it.

"Come," he said, his hand sliding to her back mid-way as he ushered her to follow. And there her heart went again. Beating and beating faster and faster. That hand is like electricity, causing sparks to dissipate across her back.

He led her to the couch. "Would you like anything to drink? Coffee? Tea? My maid doesn't start till 8 but I'm sure I can easily whip up beverages," he offered, watching her as she slowly sat down on the edge of the couch.

"Er, I'm fine, thank you."

"I do apologize for this ungodly hour but the significance of this data is important. I have tried to sort it out myself since 2 this morning but I'm failing to see the root of the problem," he explained, as he came to sit down.

Harper was well aware that he chose to sit inches from her. Another dangerous move that was sending her heart into further shrill. And that cologne. So, goddamn addictive. He smelled delicious.

If she shuffled her left leg even just a bit, their thighs would be touching. Goddamit.

"You were up since 2?" Harper said, trying to distract her feelings.

"Yes, I rarely sleep. Something usually keeps me up," he answered, briefly catching her glimpse upon him. Harper blushed and turned her attention towards the laptop.

"I can have a look."

James couldn't understand his infatuation. The sight of her was enough to take his breath away. They were inches from one another, a couple steps from his bed and that would be that. Was it because he just wanted to sleep with her? He did not know. Since that first introduction, something had tugged at him.

She was studying the data sheet, unaware that she was biting the bottom lip defensively. His groin stirred. How could he say he was sexually frustrated when last night he had bedded some past fling. Something else was making him yearn her. The challenge?

"I can see the problem," she said suddenly, clearing her throat as she moved the cursor across the screen.

"I'm glad," James replied, rubbing his hand across his stubble.

Harper swallowed. Every bit of her was feeling alive and hungry. It was like she could feel his eyes on her. It took all the effort to focus on the sheet ahead of her than the attractive male aside her.

"Yeah, I think someone had inputted the wrong figures. These calculations don't add up right," she stated, thankful she could concentrate on simple maths.

"Let's see." Then without a word of warning, leaned over to look. Harper held her breath. Their shoulders weren't just brushing, they were pressed against one another and now his godly-out-of-this-world aftershave was tingling the pits of her nostrils begging her for a taste.

"Yes, I can see. Good spot," he complimented, slowly pulling back.

"Erm, is—was that all?" she asked.

"Yes, thank you," he responded, closing the laptop lid and getting up. "I can request Samuels to either take you home or to work. Eithers your choice. I can be a bit more lenient on your start time considering I got you out at this early hour."

Harper looked at her wrist watch. It was nearing six fifteen. "I suppose I could go to work."

"I'll notify Samuels." Then he stopped in his tracks. "Oh, Miss Daniels."

"Yes."

"That reservation for the weekend you booked. I'll need you to accompany me," he said. 

THANK YOU FOR READING! PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!