Chapter 7: The Guild Of Shadows

Chapter VII of the chronicles of the land of Rohan

Two shadows crept slowly towards each other a stone’s throw away from the bindstone near Vena’s arches. Not a long lost sphere of tumblegrass invaded the silence. Pins could drop a mile away. As the two shadows came in contact, Shadow One spoke in a soft, sandy whisper.

“It’s not everyday that one dismembers a queen’s daughter.”

Shadow Two held an approving tone in his reply. “Nice work back there. Now the Elves will be thrice suspicious of their neighbors, don’t you think?”

“Affirmative,” said Shadow One, in a particularly hushed accent. “Our mission was to shake things up a bit, and shake things up did we.”

Looking around to see if they were followed, Shadow Two pressed his eyes to all horizons. Satisfied of their solitude, he quipped, “Shall we head home?”

Shadow One was eager to answer. “Let’s. For the honor of Talucca!”

And faster than the blink of an eye, the Shadows where there no more.

- Par’Talucca, East Bahran -

Reverberating against the cold steel of his opponent’s sword, Akirra’s katana radiated its owner’s aura of calm and focus. The veteran officer sparred with his old friend and rival Assam in the tatami-floored dojo, one of many in Par’Talluca. The candlelights danced in the soft darkness, flirting with the sparks from blade to blade.

“You never cease to amaze me, friend,” remarked Assam. “Ages pass, and your sword arm remains an emotionless adobe wall.” He rotated his grip, pointing the sharp edge of the sword upwards, and heaved with both hands to cut the air beneath Akirra’s chin. Akirra saw through the movement with a wolf’s perceiving instinct, and swung in a half-circle to his fore as he backpedalled. He caught Assam’s top-knot, grazing a bit off of the bunch of hair. Whether Akirra deliberately missed, or Assam was quick enough to dodge the deadly blow, only seasoned Dhan would know.

Akirra entertained his friend’s disbelieving stare. “My principle remained the same, if that is what you care to decipher. As my technique is my wall, so is my resolve.” He let out a grin and lowered his swordpoint down, signifying the end of the fight.

“You’re still the only one to keep me on my toes in a fight, old man.”

Assam delighted at the respite he was given, and the complement that went with it. He sheathed his katana. He then drew a pipe from inside his hakama and walked to the candle between the two. Drawing from a pouch, he poured purplegrass onto the pipe’s receptacle and lit it. Taking in a deep breath of the aromatic smoke, he spoke as he exhaled.

“And I take it that that resolve still serves the Guild?”

Akirra smirked at the question that he had been waiting to be asked of.

“Yes, indeed. The Guild offers challenging work, requests that I could not turn a blind eye to. And you?”

“The life of a politician suits me better than running soundlessly through the dark with the intent to kill. As an officer yourself, I would’ve thought that you’d truly given up your old post and concentrated on the governance of our state.”

“As long as I can accomplish both equally well, for the honor of Talucca, then I am not amiss in direction, am I not?”

“As straight as your cuts are.”

Assam still liked to chide Akirra into leaving the Guild, even with his repeated failure to do so. Their reversals of fortune were of no consequence to both of them; one becoming a bandit, one a statesman – in the world of the Dhan, both was equally valued.