8: The Price You Pay

(Jonah's P.O.V)

God damnit.

When the hell did I become the keeper of all these stupid men?

Having left the confused and childish Ray and the half dead Sirius together on the ground in the foyer, I twirled around and began stomping down the hallway towards the dining room.

As I did, I glanced my pocket watch at my hip. It read 1pm.

If I knew anything about Kyle, it's that he'd probably just begun his after-lunch drink session. Which meant -

I had to give up my plans to find out more about that sealed document, and head straight there.

....Ugh.

With heavy footsteps, I sauntered towards my destination, unable to quell my fuming anger.

Why did I always have to deal with them? Those stupid Spades always got their men in trouble, and everytime something happened, it always felt like I was the one who had to deal with it.

Like when they all decided to go out drinking for a night, then broke into the Hearts' Castle kitchen through the window, drunk as ever and unable to discern that they weren't anywhere near their home. I just happened to be in the kitchen when they broke the window.

Then it became my duty to order the new glass pane and contract a worker to fix it the next day.

So much work.

Even when I had been talking to Alice in the cafe the afternoon Levie attacked the Civic Center, it was the Spades who found us and caused a ruckus.

It's like...they just refused to do anything but cause me trouble.

I turned left and stomped into the dining room, hardly able to contain how annoyed I felt. Without a single moment of hesitation, I spoke -

"Kyle, I have two half dead Spades on the floor in the entranceway. "

I trained my eyes on the curly haired redhead, whom was sitting across the table from Zero; both nursing a beer of their own.

Kyle Ashe was about to sip his drink, when his bright eyes paused. He glanced my way -

Then tipped the glass back and took a big gulp.

"And?"

I instantly rolled my eyes.

Why did everyone seem to think I would just deal with it.

"This is your job to treat them!!" My tone rose in volume as I shook my head at the drunk medic.

"They are bleeding all over Lancelot's plush red carpet. Won't you treat them like your job description tells you too!?"

Kyle put down his drink with a heavy sigh, but didn't respond. Zero however, whom sat across from him, stared at me with concern.

"What happened to them? Why are they so injured?" He stood up, pushing the chair out from behind him in worry.

I shrugged meekly.

"Like I care. They probably broke into another house again while drunk or something." I sassed, before turning my focus back on Kyle.

"Kyle, they aren't getting anymore alive while you nurse that stupid beer of yours."

The medic heaved another sigh, then pulled the glass to his lips, chugged the contents, then slammed it down.

"Alright, alright. You don't need to heckle me like that." He growled back, before getting to his feet and running a hand through his hair.