2: Mrs. Turbeldy's Home for Disadvantaged Boys

The next part of the trip involved going to a place it had been some time since I had visited. Mrs. Turbeldy's Home for Disadvantaged Boys had been my life for close to four years. I had been only once in the time since I had been crowned, and that was to personally bring the donations, and explain to Mrs. Turbeldy who I really was. I felt like she deserved to know, after everything. She didn't give me a chance to speak, and I wondered if she had ever realized. If not, then today would be a surprise for her.

I took a deep breath, then knocked on the door. Mrs. Turbeldy opened it, and I was surprised to find myself smiling as I presented chocolates, an inside joke to all the times I had stolen some for her. These were paid for though, obviously.

After a moment of eyeing me, she scowled. "Sage."

"Mrs. Turbeldy," I greeted, offering the chocolates. She took them, if a little hesitant. "What calls for the reunion?"

She didn't know. I realized that I wasn't sure what I should tell her. Last time I tried, she threatened to beat me, because she thought I had stolen all the stuff I was donating. She also thought that the king was coming to the orphanage to marry her. I closed my eyes for a moment. "I guess I just wanted to say that I thought we had a good run."

Mrs. Turbeldy snorted. "No, I'm pretty sure you hated me just as much as I hated you."

I grinned. "Yeah, that's probably true." I rocked on my heels for a moment. "How are the donations?"

Mrs. Turbeldy actually smiled at that. She smiled. "It's good. The boys are a little less rebellious now too, now that they are able to have a life." She narrowed her eyes at me. "I have wondered though, how in the devil's name did you get all those supplies?"

"Believe it or not, Conner led my life in a direction I did not expect."

"Don't tell me the scum of the earth has made a respectable life for himself."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Why am I not surprised," she muttered. "Well, are there any other prophetic notions you need to say?"

I shook my head, smiling faintly. "No. But I wanted to say thank you again. Not everyone was lucky enough to come from an orphanage with someone who actually cared, despite not wanting to show it." I gave a wry smile at her, then turned to leave.

"Sage, wait." I turned back, genuinely curious. "You are a thief, and a liar, and one of the most foolhardy people in the world." She let out a breath. "But you have a good soul. You always cared for the younger boys, and these donations amount to a lot. The amount of times that I have thought that you were lost to the devils couldn't be counted, but I think that I was wrong. You deserve to be with the saints."

I blinked, my eyes starting to water. I couldn't think of a single person that had outright told me that. I simply nodded, not sure what to say, which didn't happen very often either.

I just breathed out, "Thank you." Attempting to wipe my tears, I said, "Goodbye, Mrs. Turbeldy."

Back at the wagon, Tobias and Roden still hadn't shown up. They had been wandering around the city while I talked to Mrs. Turbeldy. I grabbed some parchment from Tobias, and wrote a note.

Mrs. Turbeldy. I couldn't find a way to tell you this in person, but my name isn't Sage. It's Jaron. When Bevin Conner bought me, the only reason I didn't run away was because I realized that it was time for me to claim the throne. I appreciate everything that you have done for me, and I hope you'll understand why I couldn't tell you the truth. I didn't steal any of those donations, they were all paid for with castle money. I will continue to send food and supplies that are needed. Also, don't be alarmed if you are suddenly having regrets about the way you treated me. As far as you knew, I was just another orphan. And as far as the world knows, you were the most generous orphanage keeper to ever exist. I don't know if I will ever be able to come back again, but know that I will never forget you, much as I hope you will never forget me as I was and who I am now.

In all formality,

Jaron Artolius Eckbert III

But with lots of memories,

Sage

I folded the paper up, then slid it under the door of the orphanage. Soon, she would know, and I was alright with that. I walked back to the wagon again, and this time the other two were there.

"Are we ready to get on the road again?" Roden asked me.

"Yeah," I answered, staring at the orphanage. We started rolling forward, and as we passed in front, the door slammed open, and Mrs. Turbeldy stared at me, her mouth open. I gave a small wave, and then we went around the corner, and I couldn't see her anymore.

I leaned back against the wagon, closed my eyes, and smiled.