56 | White Aster

The Empire of Laydel

   The Empire of Laydel. A prosperous and thriving nation; jewel of the Western continent. Despite having an empty throne for fourteen years now, the people of the country lived lives of leisure and glory — enjoying the blessings of peace, plenty and safety.

A glorious, placid nation which flourished even during times of weakness. Ever since the war between Izadel and Laydel ended four years ago, the empire had suffered very few outbreaks of unrest or invasion, and had expanded considerably. Thanks to the cooperation of the four duchies, Atlan, Cherliann, Firventia and Einfred — the nation was able to maintain its solidarity.

However, this did not mean there was no tension brewing beneath the surface. As the years passed and empire grew, so too did their princes. Daniel and Mikael Laydel, a pair of half-brothers who were candidates for the throne.

Despite being born by the nation's most hated woman — Queen Giselle, Mikael had garnered much support ever since he entered aristocracy at the tender age of nine. Living with the esteemed Cherlianns who protected him from any harm, Prince Mikael was raised in an environment perfect for a noble who could potentially rule the nation.

An illustrious young man, who mastered the sword and was labelled a skilled warrior by the time he turned twelve, rivalling many generals among Rudien Cherliann's army. News of his rare affinity for ice magic had spread through the lands - instantly earning the favour of numerous ministers who believed magic was power. And even his charming, angelic beauty was idolised amongst the people who saw him.

Less resented him for his origins, now that he had proved himself and lived luxuriously under the care of the nation's hero. Rumoured to be considerably close to Irene Cherliann, who was as renowned as her family — the people wondered if the two would take the positions of Emperor and Empress in the future.

The growth of a faction supporting Mikael as emperor, didn't come as a surprise. After all, for four years now — the second prince was the only member of the imperial family anyone had seen.

It was a well-known fact to the people, that Daniel Laydel had disappeared.

By his own will, when the first prince turned eleven, he willingly left the care of the Atlans before ever showing his face in high-society. Rumours told it was because a trusted servant of the prince was fired — but instead of letting the servant go, the prince left alongside him.

Nobody seemed to be aware of his whereabouts, but it was clear the dukes knew something.

As a result of the incident and these rumours, the reputation of House Atlan had deteriorated considerably, and many nobles began to side with Prince Mikael becoming Emperor in place of his brother. Daniel was underhandedly labelled a "runaway prince" who abandoned his duties — despite the dukes assuring he would be returning eventually.

People feared that the two princes would battle for the throne, but those who knew Mikael well, had little to worry about. After all, it was said the second prince had absolutely no intention of inheriting the country.