Mr. Kennedy's Letter

“The lady Madeline passed through a remote portion of the apartment, and, without having noticed my presence, disappeared. I regarded her with an utter astonishment not unmingled with dread; and yet I found it impossible to account for such feelings. A sensation of stupor oppressed me as my eyes followed her retreating steps.”

                                                                  Mr. Kennedy’s Letter

 Dear Father,

 It deeply grieves me to write this letter. I myself cannot believe the things I have witnessed this last week upon visiting my oldest friend, Roderick Usher—though I fear “friend” will no longer be the word I associate him with.

Horror after horror of events I cannot even begin to tell you that took place at Usher Manor.

Usher Manor is no more. It is in ruins! I cannot believe it. Even more, I cannot believe that I have escaped with my life. It was mere minutes after my exit from the manor that the place completely collapsed. It is fortunate that the household staff of the Usher’s were not there that dreadful evening as the manor crumbled into oblivion.

But there is still more dreadful news that I must deliver.

Roderick Usher died with the manor.

As you already know, Roderick sent a letter to me two weeks ago asking for my companionship. You know how he has been sickly these last ten years after the death of his mother and father. I receive the same letter every year at around the same time detailing his wishes for me to come spend a few weeks with him and the Lady Madeline, his sister.

Upon my arrival, I immediately noticed his near death complexion. And (as I have reported to you in the past) the strain between he and his sister Madeline was even more apparent. Some type of insanity (that I have not the time to detail) had hold of Roderick’s mind, adding to the horrors of that accursed estate.

One last woe entangles my heart. The lovely Lady Madeline is dead, too. She died right alongside her brother―even as the house was falling down around her! I tried―oh, I tried!―to persuade Madeline to leave. But Madeline, too, was possessed by some inner demon that forced her to stay in that house and die with her vile brother. I feel like a coward, for I should have stayed by her side.

Father, you would not believe the things I learned about the Usher family. When I return I will give you every last detail of that poor, wretched family.

Lady Madeline was a beautiful and kind woman who did not deserve to die in the manner that she did. If anyone deserved to die it was Roderick. The fall of Usher Manor was a fitting end to his diseased soul.

I am now but two days ride from the city. Until then, Father...

                                   From your loving son,

                                                                 M. Kennedy