Mar 30 Tiamzon the Tornado Leads Foton In Assault against Shopinas

Nicole Tiamzon brandished her vaunted strength and firepower as Foton made short work of Shopinas, 25-17, 25-17, 25-17, in the PLDT Home Ultera 2015 Philippine Superliga (PSL) women’s volleyball tournament All-Filipino Conference yesterday at The Arena in San Juan.

A direct hire from University of the Philippines, Tiamzon delivered the goods in the final set to push the Tornadoes to their second win in three games in this prestigious inter-club women’s volleyball tournament backed by Asics, Mikasa, Senoh, Mueller Sports Medicine, Via Mare, LGR and Healthway Medical.

She finished with 15 kills and three aces for a total of 19 points while leading the charge in the crucial third set where the Tornadoes crawled their way back from a sluggish start en route to a resounding finishing kick.

Despite Tiamzon’s heroics and all-around brilliance, Foton coach Villet Ponce-de Leon downplayed her star power, saying that they don’t have a superstar since the team is consists mostly of rookies and veterans who dedicated themselves to winning.

“Contrary to other teams, we’re just plain players who love to play the game and love to play together,” said Ponce-de Leon, whose wards absorbed an opening-day loss to a star-studded Petron side.

“Nicole is playing without any pressure, the same way that I don’t put pressure on the team. We have a well-balanced game plan and everybody has a specific role to play. Fortunately, everybody did their respective roles which resulted to this bonus victory.”

But against Shopinas, a squad bannered by the nucleus of University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) powerhouse De La Salle University, the Tornadoes brandished a performance that’s worth winning a title, especially in the third set.

After being downed in the first technical timeout, 7-8, the Tornadoes pounded hard on the Lady Clickers’ lousy front court defense and poor reception. Tiamzon spearheaded the assault, unloading three booming kills that put Foton ahead before the second technical timeout, 16-14.

Patty Orendain and Angeli Araneta finished the job with a pair of hits, leaving the Lady Clickers struggling for form.

Orendain delivered 13 points while Araneta chipped in seven markers for the Tornadoes, who were guided by assistant coach Ronald Dulay in the opening set after Ponce-de Leon came in late.

“I was not worried kahit late ako sa game kanina,” Ponce-de Leon said. “We have already set our gameplan and I’m confident that the girls will perform.”

Veterans Cha Cruz and Stephanie Mercado finished five points apiece for the Lady Clickers, who looked tired and weary after playing their second consecutive game following a three-set win over Philips Gold.

Shopinas fell to 2-1 win-loss mark.