Chapter Four | 1946

The functioning prosthetic limb is better than anyone could have imagine. The doctors, Regina, Erik, Ivan, and Aren have been working on the metal arm for the past year. Maria and Viktor spent most of the year in their cryo pods and were only unfroze two weeks ago.

During the long year, Regina would bring me into the lab day after day and show me how to read the monitors for Sergeant Barnes. Erik and Aren both taught me how to calibrate the metal arm and even let me work on the limb. Mostly attaching and adjusting the plates of the arm but I was just happy to help. I learned over the months that Ivan was a very introverted person. He didn't speak much during the time I spent in the lab but I would always catch him smiling as he listened to the others talk while working on the hand of the arm.

I'm currently waiting for Marcel's slow ass to finish his lunch so we can go spar. Maria and Viktor are with Regina, Erik, and Aren. They're unfreezing Sergeant Barnes today. His arm was attached last week and I have yet to see it. I haven't been allowed in the lab for the last three weeks and it's driving me crazy.

_______

"How long until he's awake?" Viktor questions.

"It depends but it should be no more than five to six days give or take." Aren replies.

"Will he experience any pain when he wakes?" Maria asks as she looks down at the man who lies on a metal table.

"Unfortunately we will not be able to spare him from pain but we can lessen it. The most pain he'll experience is where the metal meets skin. We had no other way to attach the arm if we wanted it to function properly so we melted the metal into his flesh. The scarring should mostly heal but it will never fully go away. We have a gel we can put over the area where skin meets metal so it will reduce risk of pain or infection." Regina answers as she walks around the unconscious man to check his stats on the monitor.

"Yeah and Maria, if Viktor is ever bothering you just give me a shout and I'll take him off your hands." Erik smirks as he winks.

"As if, you're out of my league Erik." Viktor grins at his friend.

"Please, you'd be lucky if I gave you the time of day." Erik scoffs as Viktor laughs.

"If you two are done flirting may I continue?" Regina cuts in as she crosses her arms.

"My bad." Erik smiles as he gestures for Regina to continue.

"Vasily is coming up from the Siberian facility in a few months to see our process with Mr. Barnes so I suggest you start with the trials as soon as he wakes Viktor."

"Oh wonderful, I always love a fun visit from family." Viktor groans.

"Hey, you and me both Karpov." Erik snickers.

"You're father isn't as big of a dick as mine is."

"Why you bringing up dick size Vik? You got something to tell the group?" Erik raises a brow as a boyish grin tugs at his mouth.

"You're a bastard." Viktor chuckles as he shoves Erik's shoulder.

"Um, if I remember correctly you were just suggesting for Viktor to hook up with your annoying ass." Maria speaks up.

"That's different." Erik glares at her which causes an echo of laughter.

"Why is it different Erik? Oh, do you love him?" Maria teases Erik as she speaks to him in the same voice a mother would a small child.