Chapter ~Twenty-Three~

.:~* NATHAN *~:.

What I didn't expect was to have my scream answered.

But it only came moments later. He silenced my scream with a punch to the jaw, but I could only try to scream more as he bit down on my neck, breaking skin. I cried in agony

His nails scratched my skin as he tore at my shirt...then he reached...f...for–

WHY?! WHY. WAS. THIS. HAPPENING...TO ME?

"NATHAAAN!"

"YOU BASTARDS, GET THE FUCK OFF OF HIM!"

I gasped as a blast of cold air washed my skin where the mans heat disappeared. Suddenly I was free and curled my limp body into the corner between the wall and dumpster. The tears stained my bruised and flushed cheeks and I clutched my wrist and arms against my chest. I didn't dare to look up even when the shouts of profanity were gone. I was shaking where I sat.

Shaking yet frozen to the spot as a footstep fell, slowly, toward where I sat. Slowly...whoever it was...came closer...and closer...till–

Warmth.

Whoever saved me, pulled me against their chest and cradled me. At this point, I was too lost to care.

But there was one thing I was painfully aware of.

It wasn't Ryder.

"Nathan...oh my god..." Marcus smoothed my hair and despite myself I let everything come down. I let everything out with the tears. I was tired of pretending. I sobbed for all that was worth and clutched his shirt. I cried out the pain. "Shh...it's okay. I'm right here. I won't leave."

I whimpered like a pathetic child into his chest.

Why?

Why me?

"Marcus." I whispered after a long time after I finished crying and was just sitting, in need of someone to just sit there and hug me like I mattered.

"Yeah?" He responded and pulled away slightly, giving me space. His eyes were filled with worry and pain.

"I'm sorry."

He smiled in agony and pulled me into his chest. I sighed and realized.

I needed someone to know.

~~~~~~~~

We sat in silence.

I was back in my normal clothes with my huge jacket over my shoulders and sitting on one of the bar stools. Marcus sat next to me with his head in his hands, shaking slightly. He honestly looked pretty pissed.

"You can't call the police because he's got people there, and he'll be back no matter what." He repeated one of the many things I said in my long story. I stayed silent.

"You haven't told anyone about what's recently been happening." Silence.

"And you are living in hell because you love Ryder."

"I don't have a-"

"Choice? You're right." He raised his head and locked my eyes. "You only have one choice."

A minute passed with me staring with despair back at him.

"You only...have one choice. You need to tell Ryder."

"Marcus–"

"Nathan!"

"But Marcus–"

"He LOVES you!" He cried in exasperation that it made my heart stop. "You love him. All you need to do is make him understand. He will forgive you. I know Ryder. He's afraid and he won't admit it. He's afraid the one person he truly loves, had used him. Tell him, before you lose him. His family is powerful too; his dad is a lawyer. He can help you. He...he's the reason I'm here. He told me to check on you because he thinks you're either telling the truth, or that he's traumatized you in some unforgivable way. All you have to do is set things straight."

I looked down at my hands. Could I really tell him?

"Come on." He grabbed my hand and pulled me out to the streets, to where his car was.

"I have a question..." I said softly as I sat almost numbly in the passenger seat.

"Yeah?"

"How'd you know I was here?"

He smiled a little. "I followed you when you left The Rose." I looked at him like he was crazy and he laughed. "I was talking to Kristy, and she told me you've been rushing out somewhere recently. I promised both of them that I would follow you, and make sure you weren't in trouble. Good thing too."

"Thanks..." I mumbled.

"Now hop in. I'm taking you to Ryder." He smiled kindly and I smiled back. Thank you so much Marcus. I wasn't sure that this was a good idea...but...I don't know. I really don't know. I pushed him away so well, was it really worth trying to get him back if it hurts both of us? I had a reason for what I did, and Marcus knows my reasons...but now I was lost. I didn't want to hide by myself anymore. I had to trust Marcus's judgment.

If only Mr. Stevens was gone.