Chapter 7.

My mind was fuzzy and all around me I heard machines that steadily beeped. 'Where am I?' I thought to myself. Realizing my eyes were closed, I forced my eyelids to flutter open a millimeter. It's so bright I couldn't see anything.

Am I dead? No, I couldn't be. I just fell asleep in my living room-right?

I opened my eyes all the way. Everything is so blurry. What the hell is going on. I just had a few drinks last night... I think. My vision finally adjusted and the realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I started to panic, the heart monitor was speeding up and beeping louder than before.

"Help me! Help me! Where am I!" I screamed.

A nurse and Matt bolted into the room.

"Hey, hey, Grayson. Calm down man. You're okay," Matt said gently.

"Where the hell am I," I demanded.

"I took you to Benton hospital. You wouldn't answer my calls and I was concerned, because you're not like that. I saw you through the window lying on your living room floor passed out. Grayson, your house was filthy and I had to bust open the door to get you."
I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing. Actually I could since I do that a lot. But my body didn't feel like the usual hangover I get.

"Well thanks for doing that, man. It means a lot to me. But I don't see why I have to be hooked up to all this equipment anymore, lets go. I'm fine," I said nonchalantly.

"Are you kidding me. You've been in a coma for two weeks on life support, if you didn't wake up in the next five hours, they were going to take you off." The room around me began to spin and Matt's words echoed in my ears.

I was dying.

"Mr. May, I know this is all shocking to you. I'm not surprised by your reaction. But your liver is failing, due to your alcoholism," the nurse sighed.

My liver? Alcoholism? I knew that I drank a lot. But it I didn't have alcoholism... I just couldn't. I wonder if Beth was still here then maybe I wouldn't be in this situation.

I could feel tears prickling in the back of my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. This should be good. I'm going to be with Beth after I die. I'm going to be okay.

"Grayson, I already tried to get the doctors to give you my liver, but our blood type didn't match. I don't know how far down on the list you are for a transplant but I'm sure it'll be soon."

Matt was willing to die for me. Just so I could keep living the shitty life I have. I know it was because he cares but if he was struggling I wouldn't make him suffer. He was just being a good friend.

"Matt, you didn't have to even think about that. I don't need a new liver. Just let me die so I can go be with Beth again," I didn't realize until after I said it how harsh my words were. Matt's facial expression was hurt, but also confused.

"I'd do anything for you man. But who's Beth?"

"You know, my girlfriend. We met at the Rosewood bar during the party. You were there, don't you remember? She always wore red lipstick. You're joking with me, right? She's the one that got shot right in front of me, Matt, by her ex-husband that escaped from jail! How could you not know! It was all over the news! That's why I was passed out in my house. I drank the pain away. I couldn't think of life without her man."

The heart monitor sped up again and I got a little dizzy. Matt still looked bewildered, and that nurse was staring at me like I had two heads.

"What? Why're you looking at me like that?" I spat angrily.