Chapter 3

Serena was hesitant to answer her phone when she saw it was Theo calling, but she decided she'd at least let him know she was on her way to the airport. "I don't know how long I'll be able to talk without falling apart."

"I'm going to miss you like crazy," he said through the receiver. "Be safe and have fun, sweetheart."

"I love you," she whispered, nervously glancing at her friends who were surrounded by their husbands. "I wish you were here to say goodbye."

"I should be there. But I'm giving you space and time."

"I didn't see you when I dropped the kids off at Nicholas'."

There was a moment of silence then finally he said, "I went into work early so I didn't have to face you."

"Oh."

"It's not like that, baby," he assured her. "I just miss you. Seeing you hurts right now."

"Are you going to see that Brenda woman today?"

Theo deeply sighed and shook his head even though she couldn't see him. "I told you, Serena. I sent her to a different doctor. I never once did anything with her."

"I have to go," she quickly said just as she saw Olivia wave her over.

"I love you so much. I'll be at home waiting for you."

"Theo," she said, squeezing her eyes shut, "two days aren't enough to think about what we're going to do."

"I have a plan to win you over like it's the first time falling in love with you." There was a sense of promise in his voice, and Serena longed to hear more. "I'm never letting you go, sweetheart. You and I have our whole lives ahead of us, and these horrors that I'm with other women when I'm not with you will leave your mind."

"I'm gonna go," she said, following Olivia and Athena to the baggage claim. "I can't promise I'll answer your calls all weekend, but let my babies know I love them. And I love you."

"I'll love you forever."

Serena hung up after that and accepted the embrace her friends offered her. "I won't let my mood kill this vacation."

"Good," Olivia said with a rueful smile. "You're a strong woman with an equally strong husband at home who will worship your feet when you return."

Athena laughed and nodded in agreement. "Theo's good, Rena. He's going to fight so don't you worry about him this weekend."

• • • • •

Theo kept his focus on his work the entirety of the day and never once left his office for a break. Working was the only thing keeping his mind off of his wife who was vacationing on an island so far from him. He had a plan to win her, but he hadn't completely sorted it all out yet. For all he knew, he'd fail and lose her forever.

Serena was too good to be true, and having her as his wife was surreal. He knew she deserved better, but he deserved her.

"You staying late?" Tristan asked, poking his head into his friend's office.

"I'm leaving to see my kids soon," he replied. He hadn't even bothered to look at him.

"Look, Wilder," Tristan said as he strolled inside to take a seat in the chair across from him. "I said pretty fucked up things that resulted in this whole mess with you and Serena, but I never meant to see it-"

"Don't apologize," Theo said, cutting him short. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have realized what an ass I am to treat Serena so poorly. I did spend a lot of time here with Brenda, and there's no excuse for that, but I am all for Serena."

"I believe you," he said, blinking hard. "You two have lasted nearly six years, and you'll last forevermore. I don't have a single doubt in my mind about that, but it's my job to say something to her if I don't agree on it, and I would do the same for you."

"I know." Theo offered him a small smile then stood up to pull his suit jacket on. "I have to head over to Nicholas' to be with my kids. You should head home, too."

Tristan nodded and followed his friend out of the office. They both parted ways outside in the parking lot and made their separate ways.

Theo had been anticipating the moment he'd see his children after a long day of work. He hadn't spent enough time with them and crawling into to bed to just be near would be enough.

Ky was more than ecstatic when his father walked through the front door and hopped out of his chair. "Daddy!"

"Hey, buddy," he said, pulling his son into his arms. He chuckled when his daughter gaped at him with wide eyes and placed a kiss on her head. "Did my two monsters finish their dinner?"

Charlotte made a sound between grumbling and blowing raspberries before giggling.

"I'll take that as a yes." He gave Nicholas a brief nod then carried both of his children upstairs to the guest room. "Did Mommy call to check in?"

Ky nodded and helped untie his father's shoes. "She said sleep well, my babies and tell Daddy I love him."

Theo grinned and held Charlotte closer against his chest. "Ready for bed, buddy?"

He shook his head. "I have to brush my teeth first and then take a bath."

The smile on Theo's face immediately fell and was replaced with a look of remorse. He would have known to do that if he spent more time with his children. "Okay, buddy. Did you pack a toothbrush?"

Ky stared impassively back at his father. "I don't know. Mommy packed all my stuff."

"Then that's a yes," he muttered, a small smile playing on his lips. He set Charlotte down in her crib and pulled Ky's backpack out for him.

"Mommy sings to me when I go to sleep," Ky mentioned to his father.

Theo pulled out the nightly essentials for his son and sat on the bed. "Come here, buddy."

He immediately obliged and grinned when Theo pulled him into his lap. "Mommy also said that if Daddy is sad I have to give him a hug. Do you want a hug?"

Theo chuckled and nodded, wrapping his arms around his son. "I love you, buddy."

• • • • •

"I'm worried for him," Olivia said as she texted Tristan about their first vacation day. "Tristan said he seemed a little off at work."

"He texted to say he feels like a failure as a parent," Athena said from the bathroom.

Serena looked down at her own phone and frowned when nothing appeared. "He hasn't even tried contacting me all day."

"Ky had to be the parent tonight while I couldn't even figure out how to get his shirt on correctly," Athena read from her phone.

"It bothers me how he'd text the woman he once had feelings for and not his wife," Serena muttered as she turned over in bed and pulled the blanket over her head.

Athena propped herself down on Serena's bed and deeply sighed. "Theo never once had feelings for me, Rena. What happened between us was years ago and means absolutely nothing."

"Then why hasn't he called?"

"Do you want to know the truth?"

Serena nodded and wiped the tears that brimmed in her eyes. "I do."

"He's coming here."