5 | the noise becomes anger and the anger is light

******

******

*🌸*

"When your father is reborn, he WON'T be the man you recognize! His soul will be gone."

~ Harumi (The Quiet One)

*🌸*

******

"What is it..." Harumi had asked one day. "That you saw in me? What makes you see me different from everyone else ?" Her eyes were wide and vulnerable, a serious expression on the usually very calm face.

Lloyd chuckled a little and rubbed at the dirt on his gi as he thought. "I don't know..." Lloyd answered honestly. He leaned over the rail of the boat contemplatively. "Something drew me to you. Like you're a piece of my life I needed to complete my puzzle. You and I? We're kindred spirits."

Something had flashed in Harumi's eyes. Lloyd hadn't noticed it then. "Kindred spirits?" She said smoothly with a giggle. "You barely know me, you know. How are you able to tell who I am? Maybe I'm secretly an emo goth girl and you would've never guessed."

"Hey! I had an emo phase too!" Lloyd turned, a wide crooked grin tilting his face. "You see? We are very alike!"

Harumi shook her head. "We are very different, Lloyd." She said with a smile. "Roads join and diverge. Paths that cross aren't parallel."

Lloyd scrunched up his nose. "We must be different. I was aged up so I missed a lot of school. Any math terms are going to blow over my head."

The girl rolled her eyes, her hand gently cradling the wheel. It moved easily in her fingers, only using the tips to push it where they needed it to go. "I think the lack of education is becoming obvious. Kindred spirit." She teased.

Lloyd laughed but when he spoke his tone was slightly more serious. "We're connected somehow. I don't mean that in a cheesy way. I can feel it. That red string of fate ties us together and it has big plans." He sighed, turning back to feel at the depth of the river with a stick.

"Fate is funny like that." Harumi said distantly in the background. The seemingly off-hand comment made something in him buzz warningly but Lloyd dismissed it, prodding for rocks. He didn't think about it again as Harumi began to sing softly under her breath.

"Spider's in the house. Sleep, sleep..."

****

It was strange seeing her after all this time.

Lloyd had spent so much time picturing her face, remembering what she had been like, carefully crafting together an image in his mind until it was almost as if she was really there.