HANDLER CRISIS

"How are things at the girls home? Are they really all lesbians?" Alex asks.

"No," I frown.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

"You haven't been to school much since going to the girls home.".

"I'm on an independent study program." I lie. "You know, while the girl's home figures a few things out."

"Like what?" Anna asks.

I'm about to answer her when I catch sight of Sebastian getting out of his car. He looks over at me, and we hold each other's gaze for a moment, until Isaac gently nudges him to get his attention. Then he looks away.

We both do.

Anna follows my gaze and a smirk spread across her face.

"Oh, I get it now," her mouth drops open.

"It's not what you think," I shake my head.

"Yeah right. That come hither look in your eyes tells me everything I need to know."

Unable to hide my amusement, I laugh.

Especially when she wriggles her eyebrows at me.

We got off to a rocky start, but I miss Anna. I miss this. And man do I miss Aunt Sarah's cooking. We have five-star chefs at the girl's home, but they don't even come close to how amazing my aunt's food tastes.

"Did something happen between you and Sebastian?" Tessa asks. Walking up to us.

"We're... good," I swallow hard.

Gasping, she says, "Something did happen. OMG! Spill it!"

"There's nothing to spill. We're just... we needed some space from each other."

"Space?" Her brow purses together. "That doesn't sound good, Angel."

"Yeah, well... apparently it's for the best."

I'm not good at hiding my feelings, and my emotions are written all over my face. This separation from Sebastian is more than I can handle. Because my feelings for him are stronger now that I know he feel the same way. Still, I do my best to respect his position and avoid him like he's avoiding me.

"I'm going to head to first period," I tell my friends. But really, I just don't want to bring their mood down. They're all so excited and happy... all things I don't even remotely feel. "Ms. Duvall hates stragglers."

"Okay. I'll see you at lunch," Anna waves me off.

I hurry to class and Samuel sits down next to me. Just in time for the bell to ring. He flashes me a warm smile and I flash him one back.

It's our thing...

It's how we make up after a fight.

Besides, it isn't like he knew some maniac was going to put me in a headlock. So, it's time I let him out of friendship jail and give him a break.

"Does this mean you've forgiven me?" Samuel asks.

"Maybe." I smirk.

Reaching his hand inside his jacket, he pulls out a single red rose and hands it to me. A sweet gesture that puts a smile on my otherwise somber face.

"Consider this rose my first attempt at an apology," he tells me.

"Apology accepted."