Chapter 2

"It'll just be the three of us on an island resort," Olivia explained over dinner with her friends. "I've already made a set of rules that even I think are unfair such as taking calls from our husbands and texting them only before bed and after breakfast."

Isaac frowned and squeezed Athena's hand from under the table. "You'll sneak away, right?"

Athena giggled and nodded as she pressed a kiss to his cheek. "Of course I will."

Oblivious to their conversation, Olivia continued. "We won't talk about how much we miss our husbands and kids. We're hardly thirty yet. And boys, don't you dare blame us if we look."

Theo quirked an eyebrow and leaned in to whisper, "I'm starting to think this getaway is a bad idea."

"Me, too," Serena muttered. "But I promise I only have eyes for you."

"Wish my wife could say the same," Tristan said in the same lowered voice as he took a sip of wine.

Olivia turned to her husband and flashed him a grin. "Tristan, I'm on my third glass of wine. Ignore my bluntness."

"Jesus, I love you," he said, raising his glass to clink it against hers. He took a sip then raised it again. "Our wives leave tomorrow afternoon, gentlemen. And we're stuck with the kids."

"Relax, Tristan," Athena said, laughing. "Your gray hairs are showing."

"Ever wonder who puts them there?" he questioned, jerking his head toward Olivia.

Everyone but Theo laughed. He placed a hand on Serena's thigh and pointed to the front door. She nodded as Theo stood up and pretended to check the time on his watch.

"It's really late and the babysitter has school tomorrow," he said to the rest of the table. "Rena and I will see you all tomorrow afternoon?"

"It's hardly eight," Isaac protested. There was a hint of a smirk on his lips as he witnessed the glare across Theo's face. "How old is your babysitter anyway?"

"Seventeen," he quickly said, pulling his suit jacket around Serena's shoulders. "She's in high school and you remember what that's like."

"I sure do," Tristan said, chuckling. "Theo had a mind as small as his dick. You should have heard the things he'd say about Serena."

"Very funny," Theo muttered, hurriedly pulling his wife toward the door. "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Serena palmed his chest and pushed him back into the dining room. "I want to hear the things you'd say about me."

"No, you don't."

She was surprised to see the blush on his neck and smirked. "What did Theodore say, Tristan?"

"A lot of things."

"He's drunk," Theo whispered. "Don't listen to him."

"He mentioned a three way once," Tristan said, completely oblivious to the tension that had suddenly crept into the room. "With you and Brenda Shane. Said he'd fuck her while you watched."

Serena's eyes widened. "Holy shit. He really is drunk."

"No, I'm not." Tristan stood from his chair and walked toward Theo. He was completely sober. "He never really said that, but there's something we should discuss right this second. Your client that you've been spending so much time with is an old friend, right? What's her name again, Wilder?"

"Why are you doing this, Tristan?" Theo asked, his eyes trained on his lethal friend. "You know this is strictly professional."

"Then why the fuck do you waste hours at the office at night with her?"

"Tristan," Isaac warned as he stood up from his chair. He was ready to jump in if a fight were to break out. "Let's not do this here."

"Let's," Tristan said with fists at his sides. "Serena is like my kid sister. Don't you dare fuck with her and just tell her the truth."

"What is he talking about, Theo?" Serena asked, glancing between the two men.

"Nothing, sweetheart."

"He fucked her!" Tristan yelled, taking a step back. He was angry, but he wouldn't physically harm Theo unless he had to. "He fucked her, Rena. Jesus, how can you not know?"

Theo hadn't even flinched as he impassively watched the reaction on Serena's face. "Can I explain or has Tristan done that for you?"

"Why haven't you denied it?" she asked, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"There's nothing to deny when I haven't done anything," he said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I never once slept with another woman since you and I have been together."

"Then how do you explain taking her home and forcing Serena to wait hours for you?" Tristan questioned, shaking his head in disbelief. "I stood by your side and supported your entire relationship. And this is how you repay my respect for you?"

"This isn't about you anymore," Olivia said, pulling her husband back. "Tristan, you and I need to go upstairs to cool down and let the two of them talk."

"We should go," Athena suggested, and Isaac immediately nodded in agreement. "Call me, Rena. Let me know you're alright."

Theo and Serena were left to stand alone in the dining room after everyone else had scattered. There was silence between them until she broke down into sobs and covered her mouth with her hand.

"I want you out of the house," she said, desperately wiping her stained cheeks.

"Serena, please," he beggged, engulfing her in his arms. "There is no one else but you."

"Then how do you explain what Tristan said?"

"I can't," he said, shaking his head. "But please trust me. I would never do anything to hurt you."

"We're done, Theo. I can't fight for us anymore."

"No, sweetheart." He slid to his knees and hugged her middle. He had never felt weakened beyond repair until this very moment. "We fixed our problems last night, and we can fix this. Please let me prove I have never once been unfaithful."

"How will you prove that?"

"Same way I have proved over and over again we're meant to be together," he whispered. He kissed her small bump and sighed. "I'm yours, Serena. I have never loved anyone so much that I'd die for them. Please don't tell me you're leaving me."

"I just need time," she said, dragging her hands through his brown hair. "We need time apart."

"No, we need time together."

"Please be gone by the time I get home."

• • • • •

Theo was restless as he climbed downstairs in the old house he used to call home. He pulled out a bottle of scotch from the pantry and poured a glass for himself before forcing the contents down.

"Don't drink her away," Nicholas said, taking the bottle away from his younger brother. "She's just hurt right now. You might see her when she drops the kids off tomorrow."

"I'm supposed to be watching them at home," Theo said, shaking his head in disbelief.

"You can watch them here. Logan and I aren't leaving until after Monday so you've still got me."

Theo humorlessly chuckled. "I just need Serena right now. I've never felt so shitty before and I haven't even done anything."

"Then why do you feel so guilty?" Nicholas asked, raising an eyebrow. "You know you've spent a lot of time with this Brenda chick, which is why you're beating yourself up."

"I keep trying to convince myself it's just business, but I should have seen what I was doing was wrong on so many levels."

Nicholas nodded in agreement and poured himself a glass of scotch. "You love Serena, Theo. I can see how much you do, so fight like hell for her."

"I'm never going to stop." Theo took one last sip and retreated into a guest room upstairs. He needed a plan if he wanted his wife back.