The Deeds of the Ancients - An AncientPunk Story by Jinn Tiole

By jinnis

Running a travel agency during a pandemic is a challenge. And some of my colleagues might point out this is an understatement. I'd been fighting to remain positive and to earn my keep for more than a year when the young man walked into my shop, wearing a mask that hid everything but his steel-blue eyes and a shock of black curls.

"Good morning, Miss. Can you help me with an inquiry?"

I pointed at the telephone headset covering my ears. "Just a minute," I mouthed toward my customer. With a single glance, I took in the anthracite face mask tailored to fit his expensive suit and his black shoes polished to the same glossy finish as his calfskin briefcase. His whole appearance spelt money—and an impeccable sense of fashion.

Marjory, at the other end of my line, rambled on about her boyfriend trouble. What seemed mildly interesting only a minute ago now kept me from potential business, though. "Listen, Marj, I'll call back later. I have a customer."

"... And then he dared to say—wait, are you even listening, Jo? I thought business at your place was dead as a doornail?"

I suppressed a sigh. "Please, Marj, I'll call you, promise. Bye." Determined to give my most professional expression, I cut the connection, slipped off my headset, and replaced it with a one-way medical mask. "How can I help you?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation. Indeed, I'd like to talk about business. Would you be available to arrange a group tour?"

Was he kidding? We were living in an effing pandemic, and no one was booking group tours these days. "It depends on what you have in mind. Would this be a company outing?"

"Not in the strict sense. Consider it a celebratory family event."

A marriage anniversary or something fancy for sure if they needed the services of a travel agency. But I wasn't one to complain about potential business. "Very well, and where do you wish to travel?"

"That's not decided yet. I imagined a guided tour, visiting some truly remarkable places. I'm sure you have suitable suggestions." The crinkles beside his eyes told me he smiled behind his mask. Was he flirting? Well, I hadn't had a date for over a year, but it needed more than long lashes to get my juices flowing. Whom are you kidding, girl?

I swallowed the dry knot that had appeared in my throat. "I'm sure I do. Let's see, a city tour to Paris or Rome, perhaps? How long should this event take?"

"We haven't decided yet. I'd say it depends on your suggestions." The crinkles were back.

"Oh, the range of opportunities is wide. What about a visit to a wellness oasis in the Schwarzwald? Or maybe what we call our honeymoon special, a magical voyage into the heart of natural beauty, a cruise on the famous Hurtigruten or on the Danube? Another more local happening I can recommend is a culinary discovery voyage. It's one of our specialities, and I'm sure we can cater for the taste of all your family members."

The laugh lines beside his eyes deepened. "Ah, I'm sure this would be an unforgettable experience. As tempting as it sounds, I should have made myself more clear. We are looking for an extended tour to places of paramount cultural interest." He pulled up a chair and sat, straightening the creases in his trousers. "Think big, please. What are places you consider relevant for human history and achievements, the must-sees on planet Earth?"

The entire planet? This had to be a joke, right? Glad for the privacy the mask gave me, I fought back my hysterical laughing fit and leaned back in my chair, careful to keep a straight face. I was good at this game too. "Human achievements aside from Gothic cathedrals and Baroque castles, you mean? Well, let's start with Olduvai Gorge, the cradle of humanity. Then, we have Stonehenge, the pyramids of Giza and Chichen Itza. Let's add Machu Picchu, the Great Wall of China, the Moai of Rapa Nui. Oh, and the Nazca lines are worth a visit for sure, to name a few."